Buckle L or R release

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mavjax

Reaction score
I'm in the process of threading my new BP that I will be using for my upoming cave training. What do you do for your waist buckle, left or right release?

I've heard some say go left so that if you dive with a ditchable weight belt there will be no accidental release of both. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Just my .02 and its worth what you paid for it.

I never use a weight belt and i rig for a right hand release because my stages or deco gas pretty much make my left arm usless for this. This might not be a factor now in your diving but it sounds like it will be soon and why change later.

Dive safe
Mike M.

Put your buckle on the left side of your harness, in addition to the points dago mentioned you'd also have to un- and re-thread it for your cannister or leave your cannister permanently mounted.

I'll be back home in Jax on the 12th-13th and wouldn't mind helping ya out, just drop me a PM.

Give your buckle a right hand release. (the buckle goes on the left waist strap)
Even if you were to wear a weight belt (and with doubles it is not likely that you will) it is also not likely that releasing the waist strap will have much effect on loosing your BP.
In the older days we would have the weights with a RH release and the BP (of the single tank mounted directly to it type) with a LH release for the purpose not releasing the waist band. Back then the belt was also the very last thing that we put on.

Thanks... there is so much information and so many differing opinions sometimes a bit of clarification really helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom