Buddy breathing and not holding breath?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone has stressed to NEVER, EVER hold your breath. You would get in serious trouble when you reached the surface by doing so. Buddy breathing isn't necessary when you use your octo or secondary regulator. Read that chapter again about never holding your breath while at depth.

Holding your breath while diving is a pretty sensitive subject. Gas Embolisms are a leading cause of serious injury in the DAN reports. Most of these are caused by quick ascents to the surface while holding your breath. Many agencies have noticed this, and try to ingrain in their students to never hold their breath. This is good because it makes students more conscious of their breathing and when they are holding their breath. The downside, however, is that it paints a somewhat unrealistic picture about just how dangerous holding you breath is.

For example: When breathing normally, I typically inhale slowly, hold that breath for 4-5 seconds, and then slowly exhale. This sort of slow and relaxed breathing rate is actually good for diving, and encourages good gas exchange in the lungs. As a matter of practicality, it also allows very precise adjustment of buoyancy, and even allows a diver to rise or fall in the water column just by controlling their breathing. It is something I've noticed all divers with good buoyancy do...but technically it is breath holding.

Problems don't really arise with breath holding until you lungs are full, and the airway is closed. Imagine you are about to dive into a pool, and try to swim to the other side underwater. You are going to take a very deep breath--to the point that you can feel your lungs expanding against your chest. When you inhale this deeply, your lungs are all stretched out, and you have to close off your airway to keep them from deflating like a balloon. This is the sort of scenario you need to avoid when diving; you want to avoid closing your airway, and you want to avoid very deep breathing.

So to answer the question about buddy breathing while ascending, the real key is to take a normal, relaxed breath. If you can manage to take a nice, relaxed breath while buddy breathing, you should be able to hold it in you lungs for a couple seconds WITHOUT clenching down on your airway, and slowly release your breath over 5-10 seconds before getting the reg back, and getting your next breath. Yes, you will rise a couple feet while you start exhaling, and yes, this is perfectly safe. The key is to remain relaxed at all times, and never clench down on your airway.

HTH,
Tom

PS, in order to do this, you do need a fair amount of control over your buoyancy, and you need to be relaxed in the water. These are two things that a lot of divers lose in an emergency, which is why a lot of divers have gotten in trouble during buddy breathing ascents.

Most divers do NOT share a single second stage. Buddy breathing is generally considered two divers breathing off of two second stages, and one first stage. This assumes that one divers air is no longer available.

Sharing one second stage is not recommended other than as a last resort. If you do have to perform that drill, take a full breath, hand the second off, and exhale slowly.

I've had some experience diving, and can count the number of times people had to share air with no hands! :D Practice is one thing, but in reality, I've never heard of anyone having to share air for any reason other than they were an air hog with just a couple of exceptions. I did read about tank oxidation goo that killed a couple first stages in Coz... yikes!

I carry a 19CF pony when I do dive trips on my own (wife/son do not dive) and go deep. That way I have a reliable air source buddy as one never knows what kinda buddies will be on a boat.

I wouldnt feel comfortable diving with someone if they didnt have an octo.
With a little practice you'll ifnd that buddy breathing works just fine, here are two examples: 1 2

Most divers do NOT share a single second stage. Buddy breathing is generally considered two divers breathing off of two second stages, and one first stage. This assumes that one divers air is no longer available.

Sharing one second stage is not recommended other than as a last resort. If you do have to perform that drill, take a full breath, hand the second off, and exhale slowly.
First of all, buddy breathing is two divers sharing a single second stage, two divers each using a separate second stage off a single first stage is called something else, "octo breathing" or "auxiliary use," or whatever. The proper techinique is to take two breaths, return the second stage to the donor so may take two breaths and so on. While the regulator is out of your mouth you should blow a small stream of bubbles.

First of all, buddy breathing is two divers sharing a single second stage, two divers each using a separate second stage off a single first stage is called something else, "octo breathing" or "auxiliary use," or whatever. The proper techinique is to take two breaths, return the second stage to the donor so may take two breaths and so on. While the regulator is out of your mouth you should blow a small stream of bubbles.

I think it is just called 'air sharing' these days.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned but was certainly taught in the NAUI program is this: the owner of the shared second stage NEVER lets go of it. You do not hand it over to your panicing OOA buddy.

If the OOA diver wants to hold the reg, they do it over the top of your hand. If you let go of the reg, you may not get it back!

Richard

I guess I have to ask on what planet are divers going down without a backup second?

From my perspective sharing ONE second is just not done with maybe the exception of a pool or as a stress exercise. Octos have been considered mandatory dive equipment for well over two decades.

I guess I have to ask on what planet are divers going down without a backup second?

From my perspective sharing ONE second is just not done with maybe the exception of a pool or as a stress exercise. Octos have been considered mandatory dive equipment for well over two decades.

Even being a brand new diver, I new this..

:wink:

Ron, you are completely right.

But octo's can and do fail, due to lack of proper care, being improperly stowed during the dive and then being dragged thru sand and muck, etc... it shouldn't happen, but it does. Then the only option is try to go hunting for someone else's octo, perform a CESA, grow gills, or buddy-breathing. That's my big issue with buddy breathing not being taught to all basic OW divers.

It should never be needed with a functioning octo, but OOA's should never happen either, and they still do. I've never been OOA, I've never had a buddy go OOA, but have knowledge (from those involved) of two real-life OOA's where buddy-breathing was required. The divers involved were just fine because they knew HOW to buddy breath.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

Maybe double hose divers? The original DW Mistral, for example, is a single stage regulator and doesn't have intermediate pressure available to support power inflation or an octo. But it was good enough for Jacques Costeau when he dove 400' to the HMHS Britannic.

Buddy breathing from a double hose is a little more involved than with a single hose and certainly more involved than air sharing with an octo.

Of course, clearing the regulator is a more interesting as well.

I suppose a pony bottle is one solution but I never saw Mike Nelson sling one.

See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vi...269731-characteristics-mistral-regulator.html

Richard

It should never be needed with a functioning octo, but OOA's should never happen either, and they still do. I've never been OOA, I've never had a buddy go OOA, but have knowledge (from those involved) of two real-life OOA's where buddy-breathing was required. The divers involved were just fine because they knew HOW to buddy breath.

Best wishes.

I think if you are unfortunate enough to have a complete first stage failure, and your buddy is somehow diving a defective octo, than you may want to go hide in a closet. I mean, how bad can things get! :D

Sharing a single second stage should not be a huge problem. Than again, how many problems have you encountered already that requires this to be done?

Back
Top Bottom