Buddy Checks - do you do them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After our Rescue course scenarios our instructor pointed out 2 divers getting ready--he said "See those two--They're doing a very thorough buddy check, indicating they just completed OW class and are very green. Keep an eye on them." That's the only time anywhere in my 5 years I've seen a "by the book" buddy check.

Must have been me! Snagged! Now everyone knows how green I am! :D

A SADDDDD ... (dive plan)

Sequence
Air
Depth
Duration
Direction
Distance
Deco

... will SAVE your life (in-water checks).

S-drill
Air/bubble check
Valve drill
Equipment check

When doing a quick check for a shore dive, I'll use a modified S-drill and make sure back-up and primary regs are working, do a bubble check, do a modified valve drill and just make sure that any potential equipment problems such as forgotten specialty gear is accounted for and drysuit hoses are hooked and working.

From a boat, we'll do a modified S-drill, valve drill, and equipment check on board then a bubble check during the descent and test back-up regulators again in the water somewhere at the beginning of the dive. This may be during descent or once we've reached a wreck.

When I do a serious dive, I check everything if I'm leading.

If I do a solo cave dive, I double check and take my time making sure that things are working just right. I use my mask as mirror to bubble check my manifold, regs, wing and tanks behind my head.

Buddy check every time and very detailed "buddy" check when I dive solo.

Why? First, because that's the way I was taught and, to me, I figure it was taught for a reason and that training doesn't come with a lot of unnecessary or unproven techniques.

Everything was taught for a reason. Now it's true that things change and we have to adapt but evolution has shown us that we must be very careful with what we choose to move away from.

The buddy check is simple and fast and all it takes is to catch one shut down air valve to really drive that message home. Keep it simple but just do it.

Yes I do buddy checks 99% of the time. The remaining 1% is when I've been complacent because it is an easy dive or whatever but I really shouldn't do this.

My buddy checks include:
-going through our gear from head to toe to make sure it's all there and working (breathe of each reg, check drysuit + BC inflation, mask seal, etc etc)
-we deploy long hose to make sure it is not trapped
-check my valves are all open
-underwater, we do a bubble check. Sometimes this is on the surface if it is calm but more often than not we do this 1m or so below

I usually look over an observe my buddy but unless they specifically ask for a "buddy check" it's more about each of us being methodical about the way we gear up and check ourselves and then a glance at each others gear and a glancing bubble check once we are just under the surface.

I'm all for the concept of checking your buddy but I'm also all for the concept of being as methodical and self reliance as possible. We can all make mistakes so checks are good but I would say if your buddy constantly finds issues with you then you probably aren't being as self reliant as you should be.

The more gear you wear the more likely you need a buddy check as well.

I usually look over an observe my buddy but unless they specifically ask for a "buddy check" it's more about each of us being methodical about the way we gear up and check ourselves and then a glance at each others gear and a glancing bubble check once we are just under the surface.

I'm all for the concept of checking your buddy but I'm also all for the concept of being as methodical and self reliance as possible. We can all make mistakes so checks are good but I would say if your buddy constantly finds issues with you then you probably aren't being as self reliant as you should be.

The more gear you wear the more likely you need a buddy check as well.

Excellent points. I think this is why I say I have almost never seen a "by the book" buddy check. As you point out, we all should be self-sufficient, as if every dive were a solo dive. I've found that experienced divers treat all dives as such and a good, prepared buddy is a luxury. So if we are able to make sure we ourselves are O.K. to go, we shouldn't need a buddy to re-check every piece of equipment we already thoroughly checked, should we? Thus, we enter and do a bubble check, etc. and that's that.

Greetings orm and I have really two simular answers but here we go;
While training divers OW, AOW, etc. I personally supervise buddy checks between buddy teams and allow them to observe the instructor and I do the same.
Every piece of gear is checked, air is triple checked first at initial set up, again while testing regulators, inflators, and exhaust valves, and lastly before each student strides / rolls into the water. This is done on each dive.
On my personal dives we make it a point to watch each other put our rigs together while we discuss any changes to our normal rigs. We check our gas and do gas calculations 1/3's most usually. Next we talk about specific objectives for the dive even if it is just pleasure. This is one aspect that we have been really focusing on as well as hard bottoms and detailed deco / safety stops. Over kill for some but comforting for others and I have come to identify many who are not comfortable with detailed dive plans. By the time we enter the water each has tested his own gas, valves open / regs working, hoses routed correctly and in place, computer on and set correctly, back up lights and cutting devices, slates, back up mask. I test my bladder on my BC inflate and deflate and always prime my relief valve pre-dive.
When we have all entered the water we descend about a foot and do a bubble check / S-drill and final hose check and start the dive time when everyone is checked off.
After the dive we talk about the dive and anything that happened out of the plan.
I have learned a great amount about myself and others while doing these de-briefs.
Sometimes we laugh a lot and other times not so much but it is about your buddy and or team. On our personal dives it has shifted from just tours to specific goal oriented dives to master skills. My personal diving has become very focused yet very enjoyable. I do not force every friend to submit to my goal and I enjoy diving with friends and family who just like to dive and not as case specific but buddy checks are required not an option.
Dive safe and remember to always have fun!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Sure I’ve done a buddy check on every dive since the first, as I believe many potential issues can be solved during pre-dive checks long before they become true problems.

Now, when diving with my regular partners we talk about the goals of the dive and perhaps brief the navigation, our individual roles such as leader and back up, about the time and depth of the dive, the ascent strategy, our gas management plan (minimum gas, turn pressure) and any hazards or considerations that happen to be unique to the environment.

We do a head to toe equipment match with each other to make sure inflators, deflator, dump valves, regs, lights, and masks are all working. Then check to make sure we have all important items such as weight belts, fins, smb, wet notes, compass, depth gauge/computer, and a knife on board. We do a valve check to make sure they are open, a quick S drill with the long hose to check that nothing is crossed over, a bubble check on the surface to make sure no gas is leaking from O-rings, etc, and then breathe off both regs just to make sure they are in position and good to go before we drop down ;-).

I always do a buddy check.

I have caught air turned off, inflator hose not connected, tank slipping etc.

It is nice to have another set of eyes to double check you out.

Two items can be disastrous in diving panic and complacency.

If you're too rushed to do a buddy check, that's a good tell tale sign that you may actually need one.

I actually do a mental head to toe before leaving the house in the morning. This saved me a couple of occasions until I forgot the wife's undergarment. Now, I add undergarment, socks, and glove liners :wink:

I do 3 pre-dive checks: one when I'm downloading the gear after the dive, one when I'm loading the gear for the dive, and a third before the dive commences after gear up. The final pre-dive check is great for when diving with new buddies, and I'm typically fairly handsy with a buddy's gear as a memory aid. I also let them check over my rig in a similar fashion if they wish, I'm not a picky buddy.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom