Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Irene was very condescending when my dive buddy asked for 24 pounds of lead. Her attitude was that he couldn't possibly take that much lead ..../QUOTE]

Was your dive buddy wearing a 7mm full suit? Or was he/she picking up lead for 3 or 4 divers? ....?

I use 20 lbs in a shortie with an AL80. In my 5ml full suit with a steel 120, I use 6 lbs. seems fairly consistent. My instructor for Max preformance bouyancy did help me drop 2lbs.

Don't assume someone who needs more wt doesn't know what they are doing.

I had the captain of Toucan's boat laugh at me when he was helping me out of the water, because I wore 16pounds of lead... 3mm fullsuit and AL80, to tell you the truth I'm beginning to think that I'm using too much lead.

No one should have to put up with attitude when they are on vacation. Who gives a good lovely about the lead!

I'll be looking for the follow-up, you other divers.

and on a "Dive Operators Board" there is an ongoing discussion of "snotty tourists"....

and on a "Dive Operators Board" there is an ongoing discussion of "snotty tourists"....

Man, don't just drop the turd in a punchbowl and leave! Where? :popcorn:

(Don't forget, AZ_Zoner saw it, too.)

Yeah, you want the dirt.....

IJS - there are two sides, and usually two perceptions.

I need to make a couple comments:

Were you there the dive before when some over weighted "vacation diver" crashed the reef, destroying a magnificent coral formation?

What was going on at that very time when you inquired as to the potential Thursday diving? Something possibly important? Maybe something they should have been addressing for the next immediate dive (like a full bank of good fills)?

28 vs 32 OMG cancel the dive, something like that just might kill you!! Oh wait, deeper MOD, and I am supposed to test it to verify... and adjust my plan..... OH THE MINUTES LOST!!!! I'll never get them back!!!!

Low tank pressures - AND THEY HAD SPARES - crisis averted.... breathe man, breathe

No mask defog???? - CRISIS!!!! Cancel my flight and reservations, the place has just gone off the edge.

seems there is a short fuse in the OP.... again - IJS...

Last edited:
Yes I did see it but it doesn't bother my wife or I like it does some others. I just figure someone was having a bad day. Could of been the op, who knows for sure. But I really don't get too upset, as a norm, with people in general... Especially when I'min on vacation in place like Bonaire having a great time diving!

It wouldn't stop us from going back to Buddy's. There are too many great people there!

Craig

The nitrox constantly tested at 28 - 29% instead of the 31-32% it should have been and when we dove on the boat the Buddy Dive the tank pressure in 4 of the tanks we tested were under 2500#, one was 2000 and the worse was 1700#. Luckily they had loaded extra fresh tanks.
I do not understand this statement.You claim to have been using nitrox. You are responsible for checking your mix and logging it on the clip board with what % it is and the mod and pressure.So at that point you know if it is full or not.Getting 29%instead of 32% will not appreciably shorten your dive.If upset about it just analyze a different tank.Buddy Dive uses a membrane system to create nitrox and depending on many factors % can vary.No big deal.Thats why YOU analyze it. Then if boat diving you put your name on the tank with a piece of tape and it gets placed by you on the dock next to the boat that you are on.The crew then loads it.So how do you blame the crew for low pressure tanks if you are the one responsible for checking it??
No mask defog on the boat? That is not the responsibility of the crew,it is yours,Remember to keep some in a mesh bag that you use to transport your gear or use spit. Buddy Dive resort is a place that you are responsible for your dive.No one else is.You plan your dive and dive YOUR plan. If you require a dive location that holds your hand then either ask for a private DM and pay for it or go to a location that provides that type of service. Want to boat dive? Then sign up on a board for a boat that has space early in the day. Boats are expensive to run and are on a schedule and have a limited number of spaces it can take.
Also I know Augusto and his family personally and consider them not only friends, but part of our family. He works hard to ensure with his crew to ensure your dive vacation is trouble free. English is not his first language and you may have merely misunderstood him.

]Irene was very condescending when my dive buddy asked for 24 pounds of lead. Her attitude was that he couldn't possibly take that much lead and she assumed that he would be crashing into the reef all the time.
Unless your buddy weighs something like close to 400lbs I find it difficult to see why 24 lbs is required.Perhaps Irene was more concerned about your friends safety..Scare's the crap out of me when someone wants to use that much lead in a 3mm full suit if I am working the dive and I would be hard pressed to allow it.Hell I am 6' and weigh 170lbs and use 10-12 lbs in a 3mm with a 3mm hooded vest with a alum 63 tank on Bonaire..

nor was there any vinegar or such for stings on any boats
Since when is that a requirement? Or even expected? If concerned go to the store and buy some to keep in your room.

The dive masters seemed to be more of a baby sitter than a guide on the dives and seemed to rarely point out sea life (though I have to admit I try to avoid the herd and usually swim well behind them).
[/QUOTE]
Maybe from what they observed they felt that they had to be more of a "baby sitter"than guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom