Buddy Diving Question

Would you use a buddy system if you could be held liable for your buddy?

• I would still use a buddy during my diving.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • I would stop using the buddy system.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I don't dive with a buddy now

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled....
How was the course enlightening?
What kind of additional equipment did you use?

Thanks for asking, Mike.

I found the discussions on; equipment configurations, legal ramifications of both buddy and solo diving, historical development of SCUBA in the US and attitudes of other divers and operators on solo diving, to be most interesting in the class. Individual items covered were; sample solo wavers to be given to dive operators, dive plans to be filed (and who with) before any solo dives and which boats/quarries allow solo diving in the local area (providing you are certified).

Equipment configuration required (by SDI/TDI) for solo diving includes: pony bottle (or doubles; independent or with manual isolation valve) with independent regs. Two - masks, cutting devices, floatation devices, signaling devices, and at least one computer with a backup timing device, depth gauge, and SPG. I also keep a laminated dive table in my pocket. I wonder how my DIR friends would react to all this stuff. And before you ask, Yes, I really do carry it all when I dive solo. When ocean diving I also add jon line, lift bag and jersey upline.

During the class we found ways to make it all as compact and as streamlined as possible. I'm sure I will continue to improve this configuration as I work with it. Honestly, right now it seems like a heck of a lot of stuff, when I'm fighting the surf to get out on a beach dive.

You might be interested to know the minimum requirements of the students attending the class. It was assumed by the instructor that all of us in the class were competent in diving and self-rescue skills. The other students attending my class were Padi DMs and one Assistant Instructor. I was the only non-professional in the class. Minimum requirements for the class included, 100+ dives, AOW + Rescue (or equivilent) plus current medical exam.

All in all, I am glad I took the class and as one instructor once told me, even if you never use it, more training can only make you a better diver.

TheRookMan once bubbled...
On your recommendation I just checked the Padi website and I even used their search engine. I just couldn't find any mention of the word "solo" anywhere on it.

You are correct. I checked the site myself and the statement I was refering to is gone. It is, however, still in the pro section of the website (password protected). I will ask them if I can post it here.

Solo diving is nothing new and some divers will always chose to do it. More training is better than less training as a general statement. That said and without questioning a divers right to dive how they want I have concerns about the educational validity of the SDI class. I know three instructors who teach the class. None of the three has ever dived in doubles of any kind. In my mind this would disqualify them to train or supervise a student in the use of doubles. They certainly couldn't teach valve manipulation or help a student assemble their doubles. Two of the three had never solo dived until they went for this instructor rating. Two of the three were against solo diving until they decided to cash in on the solo market. Not exactly a large pool of experience here to be passed on to the student.

More training is better than less training as a general statement.

My sentiments exactly! There we are agreeing again.:cheers: This thread is obviously going to die soon as there are not enough flames on it!:flame:

I have concerns about the educational validity of the SDI class. I know three instructors who teach the class. None of the three has ever dived in doubles of any kind. In my mind this would disqualify them to train or supervise a student in the use of doubles. They certainly couldn't teach valve manipulation or help a student assemble their doubles. Two of the three had never solo dived until they went for this instructor rating. Two of the three were against solo diving until they decided to cash in on the solo market. Not exactly a large pool of experience here to be passed on to the student.

Now it sounds like you are falling into the same trap you accused me of, blaming the agency not the local instructor. I would also have reservations about taking a course from the "instructors" you describe. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you feel about New Jersey :wink: ) I live in an area that has a LOT of people with serious tech experience. Doubles, mixed gases, DEEP diving, wrecks, photography, bug hunting, biology, history....you name it (except caves, them guys in Fla. have them all) and you can find people here who are considered world class.

So I guess I am lucky to be in the area I'm in, after all how many other people can do their TriMix certification dives on the Andrea Doria? (Now if only the water would get above 36 degrees!) I will continue to search out the most experienced people to have them teach me what they do best and hope to aquire half their skills.

Now if only we could get MHK and Genisus in here to stir up some trouble....(hee, hee, hee)

Climbing off the soapbox. :box:

As an instructor, I am legally responsible for my students, when ever I'm in the water with them.

For that reason I voted I'd continue to use the buddy system.
I still believe the buddy system is the safest way to dive.

As an instructor I also know what's considered acceptable and prudent levels of care.

MikeD

Opinion noted Mike. I totally agree with you! As an instructor you should be diving the buddy system.

You undrstand of course that you are diving alone when you do that.....You are not really putting the responsibility of your safety in the hands of your student students, are you?

Just food for thought...

Back
Top Bottom