Buddy Lines???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you have ever used a buddy line in bad viz situations to better stay in contact? Where I dive mostly it is not uncommon to have 2-5ft viz, and my buddy and I have considered using a short piece of rope (held in our hands) to better stay in contact with each other instead of having to be so close all the time, and by close I mean 2-3ft in really bad viz. I was just thinking that a little extra swimming room would be nice. I am curious about everyone elses thoughts on this. Thanks

as a matter of fact i have. it was just a lenght of rope with a loop at each end to put your hand through. it worked fine for those 1 ' vis dives.

i still have it but i havent used it for years.

Andy

A six-foot long line with a loop in each end.

Also good for easing the crowding at safety stops and for use as a reef hook.

I have a couple of them, they don't get used as much as they used to but worked well.

Steven

I keep one in my BC pocket at all times. It's also useful as a tow line in rescues. I'm always discovering new uses for it.

It is attached to my shoulder harness within handy reach.

In fact, Walter helped me make my first one!

I store mine in a back pocket on my weight belt. Wife & I used it a couple times years ago. It worked well in low vis, but so do good buddy skills.

Have carried one for the last 2000 dives. Always clip novices and trainees on it and its great on drift dives or when doing photography.

6ft of floating (thats the secret) line with a stainless shackles at either end. I just clip both ends onto a D ring on my weightbelt when not in use.

Have never snagged it (and I crawl in a lot of wrecks) and its very useful as a jon line, Lifting bag strop, Kit clip off on the boat etc

I have converted many people to use them. If used properly they are not noticed at all during the dive (You shouldn't be 6ft away from your buddy) and when the vis is low are a real safety boon. In the red sea if I take my camera I always use it, so my buddy knows I've stuck my head under a rock.

A real safety device that more people should use

I don't carry a buddy line as a rule ( perhaps I should ) but I have on occasion used my reel and clipped my buddy off on that , I havn't had any problems with it snagging but as madmole said a proper line has a small ball that floats .

Yours Alban

Doesn't need a ball (that will float it too much), just use floating line. Makes it more neutral that positive, just enough to lift it in a gentle arc between the divers

I use water ski tow rope, Nylon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom