Buddy separation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucy's Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Third day of diving (one 2 tank trip per day) with one of the Keys based outfits. My wife and I have about 20 logged dives each sonce OW cert in August.
She and I were one of two 2 person dive teams on a six pack boat. We got beat up pretty good ont he way to the dive site in 4-6 foot chop.

Eveyone wanted to dive, especially the other dive team (who drove 3 hours to get there for this one trip). The vis was poor for the site, only 8 feet or so, and there was significant current. There were several other dive boats moored nearby.

We went to the bottom (40 feet) down the mooring line and began a series of short out and back forays form the mooring line, relying on compass headings and landmarks to get back. The other dive team was on their own doing basically the same thing.
My wife and I were taking turns leading these forays. She was leading us back to the mooring line. I was following her closely. I was scanning side to side, saw the line a few feet to my right and grabbed it, thinking she would do the same as we had traded hand signals for "boat" and she led us. I looked to where she should have been (on the line) and then to where she should have been had she missed the line and she was nowhere to be seen. She had swum past the line. I noticed that the other buddy team also had become seperated, as one of them was hanging on his safety stop alone. Both those guys were more experienced than us.

I swam around for about a minute (never leaving easy return to the line) looking for her and went up the line, including my safety stop. Once up, I saw that one of the other team members was in the boat and had been for some time. The other member was getting in the boat. A diver from another boat had become seperated from his team and was getting on our boat by himself. My wife had not been seen. I got into the boat without incident, removed my gear, and began scanning all around the boat. About three long minutes later we saw her bobbing in the chop more than a hundred yards away. We went and picked her up.

Turns out she never saw the line and never looked back for me until she was out of sight. I looked for her just as soon as I grabbed the line, but she was lost in the murk and the current had sufficiently turned me around that I was not certain of her direction of travel.

She looked for me for a minute and did her safety stop while drifting. She spotted the boat as soon as she came up, and had plenty of air left, so she tried several times without success to swim back to the boat about 8 feet down to try to get under the current.

She was only just getting ready to use the safety sausage and air horn I had gotten her. The time discrepancy was due to her attempts to reach the boat under the current.

I guess we should have stayed closer and I should have risked losing sight of the line to grab her rather than assuming she saw the line.

Were you going one person in front and the other behind? -I recently lost my buddy that way too when he had a problem with his BC and couldn't catch up to me to signal something was wrong because he was in back.

The incident resulted in us deciding that swimming side-by-side is better. (Others confirmed this as well.)

She was ahead and slightly to my left, line came up slightly to my right.

having something to attract attention underwater is also good (tank banger or something equivalent)

With that low vis, you could have grabbed her as soon as you saw her go by the rope. She needs to keep closer contact wkith her buddy. Side-by-side is a much better way to go. My wife/buddy used to like to follow me and it was something we had to work on a bit to correct.

I guess there are two things that jump at me from first reading. 1) I would not have removed my gear upon getting back on the boat until I knew my buddy did not need me back in the water asap (unless someone else was ready to jump in for rescue), and 2) I would have been mightily pissed at my spouse for trying to swim back to the boat submerged (out of my worried sight for any longer than needed). After search, and any must-do safety, establish contact if not impossible, and only then (if even then) return under surface alone.

The thing that strikes me is that they had no "lost buddy" plan, or at least they didn't implement it.

Side by side is the way to go. In low visibility stay within an arms reach. You may think it overkill but in 8 foot viz running a line (reel), which is attached to a point close on to the mooring line, is not out of the question.

The general rule for a lost buddy in a recreational dive is to look around for 1 minute and then surface. This neither of you did. With a max depth of 40 feet you could have skipped the safety stop or completed it after rejoining at the surface.

The risk of staying down in the current and being swept away from the boat was far worse than the stop.

never leave your wingman
2 minds are better than one in an emergency
dt

dtdiver:
never leave your wingman
2 minds are better than one in an emergency
dt

Agree, very few situations (like crazy!) where I would swap my buddy for a line. ... One second she was there and then she wasn't - I'd rather risk losing the line than losing my buddy, so mad dash to where she was because chances are you'd catch her because there was so such a short delay. And hand-holding isn't forbidden in low viz either! Been there, done that, not embarrassed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom