Buddy team separated from a guided group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ameneon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When separated one have the standard one minute search then ascend and wait on the surface, and of course many personal variations.

But what if a buddy team is separated from a "group of buddy teams" lead by a guide? The scenario in question would be when you are supposed to stay as one group. At least until the end when the guide allows the buddy teams who uses lesser gas to stay down longer while sending others up.

I guess it should be agreed upon before the dive, but in my experience (although very limited as I have only done 25 or so vacation dives like this) I have yet to hear this being covered in the briefing before a dive.

I would just ask the operator what their protocols are. As a buddy pair, if you are well trained, should be able to plan & conduct dives on your own. I do not go on guided tours unless there is no choice of operators or conditions or local laws dictate otherwise.

Well, if neither one of you can navigate or go up and see where the boat is I suppose the best thing to do is to surface together and wait to be picked up. I've gotten lost while following a guided group because I can't see all that well. One time I accidentally followed another group until the DM came and got me. Another time I stumbled on our boat's anchor line and paddled around that until I saw someone familliar.

My buddy and I ask the Cap'n before we leave the dock if it is ok for us separate from the group. This is always the plan, since group diving stinks. So far we have never been told no, if we are we will try to find another op, or follow the rules laid out before us.

If we were to be separated by accident, conditions dictate our response. Harsh conditions where a guide is needed we search briefly then surface.

The reason I ask is because it happened on my last trip which was my first real diving vacation. Next trip I might ask on the briefing or before, but this time in didn't occur to me to ask. Local laws says you have to dive with a guide or else we wouldn't have bothered diving with a group.

On this dive what to do was quite clear as the dive plan was to dive an 8 number and the only safe exit point was in the middle. So we just contined and when we saw that there were no divers up on the line we just continued and met up with them abit later in the dive.

My buddy and I are somewhat experienced divers so I had no worries about us, but I started thinking what if we continue and the rest have surfaced. And then we come up 40 minutes later..

So I guess what I am asking is, when a guide discovers two divers are gone. Would the guide ever abort the dive and expect us to do the same if this is not clearly agreed upon beforehand?

So I guess what I am asking is, when a guide discovers two divers are gone. Would the guide ever abort the dive and expect us to do the same if this is not clearly agreed upon beforehand?
There in lies the question and the problem. Without clearly understanding what the dive guide will or will not do, I'd assume the basic rule of look around for a minute or two then surface.

But you now know the best way to save that frustration and an expensive vacation dive is to ask first.

Anxiety in divers of any skill level caused by the lack of knowledge of other diver's locations is bad.
Solo, buddies, groups, teams, semi solo or buddy or what.
We like to know whats around the corner although sometimes don't realise it until we find a corner.
Pre dive communication outside ones own head is good.
But we are all bombarded with this information? Less bombs more communication.
Bob puts it better.

In most of the areas I have dove, the group is expected to stay together. However, I have found that after diving with the guides for several dives, they realize that I am a rational human being, dive safe, and appear to know what I am doing. At this point I am usually allowed to lead my own little group.
I agree that communication is the best way to go:)

I make it clear before hitting the water and usually when selecting an op to dive with that I don;t like to be led around. My buddy and I will swim at our own pace, decide for ourselves what is interesting, and when to end the dive as long as the operators overall parameters are followed (ie 1 hour, back with min 500 psi, etc). If this is not ok with the op then I don't use them. As a single diver most times I try to also use ops that will let me dive alone if there is no one I feel comfortable buddying up with. I don;t mind doing a couple checkouts with their DM or instructor to be allowed to do this. I will pretty much dive with anyone who is willing to work on improving their skills and taking the time to actually see things.

What I will not do is allow an op to insist I dive with someone. As an instructor this has happened once. If they want to do that then the instabuddy is going to sign a waiver, the op is going to comp my trip, or the instabuddy is going to pay me the equivalent of the trip cost. Again I try to make my wishes clear when booking so that there are no problems at the dock or on the boat.

When diving at home, we usually dive with the same 2-3 ops, and we always separate from the group. None of these ops mind, which is why we dive with them. Away from home, we usually stay with the group, but lag in the rear or off to the side. It sucks having 13 other divers on top of you while you are looking at a nudi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom