buddys on the net

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

builderbloke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
just wonderd what the general opinion was for buddys found on the net

the reason being ive been aproached just recently by a few divers giving good and bad experiances even though there certs say there at a compitent level
ive only ever dived with a buddys that ive known for years except when im abroad and ive only had a few bad dives due to my holiday buddys lack of training

whats your thoughts and experiances please peeps ?

I've dived with a few people I've met on the net. I've never done anything too taxing with them, though. Usually a bimble around Wraysbury lake. I plan to do more, although I think most of my winter diving will be with my club.

I see diving with a less experienced buddy as good practice for my Dive Leader course. It forces me to give a good dive brief and buddy check. This is normally play acted when I dive with an instructor so its a nice change to do it for real.

I've dived with plenty of strangers on holiday. Sometimes they are more exprerienced, sometimes less but either way it has always been fun.

I've found a couple new buddies on the list, and up to now I must say it's always been a very positive experience.

It has to be said that they were all at least at Dive Master level.

I've dove with two guys that I've met online (Not at ScubaBoard), and they both turned out to be jerks :bonk: . I have a hard time finding buddies here in the middle of corn country, and will probably try it again, but I'll be a lot more careful.

I dove with a husband and wife I met on the net (not here) and had a very good dive. Saw them at the lds but didn't dive with them again, but I think I will.

I dive regularly with folks I have met on this board (15 of them this weekend.). I also met my primary dive buddy on here.

You have to take the same precautions that you would with any buddy. Do a nice safe dive to start with and if you both want to work your way up to more difficult. That way you get to know each other and learn what each other's skills are.

Good luck, dive safe.

Chad

These days, the majority of my regular buddies are folks I met on the internet, mostly folks from Diverlink, but several from this board as well. Some of them have become very close personal friends. I've diveed with countless others from various boards who have not become regular buddies, but I've enjoyed diving with them. I've met one person who caused a minor problenm diving. I know of two marriages of folks who met through Diverlink. My experiences have been very positive. I did meet and dive with one person who I later learned was two faced. I no longer associate with her. That's the only "bad" experience I've had. Not a bad ratio - approximately 200:1. I'm glad I found this board and Diverlink.

MgicTwnger once bubbled...
I've dove with two guys that I've met online (Not at ScubaBoard), and they both turned out to be jerks :bonk: . I have a hard time finding buddies here in the middle of corn country, and will probably try it again, but I'll be a lot more careful.

I too live here in the midwest. I would be willing to meet up with you somewhere to dive....however, I think it would have to be in the spring time...I think I'm pretty much done for the winter

Like Walter, most of my internet buddies were originally met on Diverlink and now the Texas Swamp Diving Team here on SB. Alot of those folks have become very dear friends. There's only been 1 or 2 that weren't as they originally presented themself to be but overall I'd have to say it's been a very position experience.

I'm going to be in the need for a diving buddy soon. I was thinking of just walking into a dive shop and asking or seeing if anyone here was interested to do a dive off of Catalina.

Oh well, I'll cross that path when the time is right.

Back
Top Bottom