Building a dedicated shore diving trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadaDan

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I have two step-kids who are now divers. We will be doing a lot of shore diving at my cottage and a few local lakes. My minivan just won't hold everything we need for the four of us (their mom is shore support) for weekends away diving and relaxing so I've decided to build out an enclosed trailer.

The idea is a place for everything, including hanging the exposure suits. When I get to the cottage or home I can plug the trailer in with an extension cord and a wall fan will pull/push fresh air through drying the hanging suits. Gloves and boots will be on electric dryers, batteries and dive computers will be hooked up to their chargers. I'll never have to find rails and trees to hang gear on and take up the coffee table with chargers... not to mention I won't have to lug all this stuff in and out.

I assume more than few of you have done this. My question is the size needed. I've done a scale layout and I think a 4x6 V nose trailer will do it. The next size up will cost another CAD$1500 or so and I could really use that money to buy the gear that is going to fill this trailer lol. Below is the floor and wall plan I've come up with. Tight but seems doable. Also a photoshopped rendition of the trailer's exterior... the logo is mine and is tattooed on my shoulder and on multiple pieces of gear and clothing including my infamous dive kilt :wink:

Any thoughts/experiences that you care to share?

Dive Trailer (Custom).png
2020_Cargo_Mate_4_x_6_Enclosed_Cargo_Trailer_Bpf9km (Custom).jpg

..Any thoughts/experiences that you care to share?
You did an great job on the Trailer!!
But that dive flag is a giant invitation for theft. Most of us don't even put scuba logos on our luggage because it's a theft target. My friends with scuba trailers all use magnetic side panel signs that get removed and placed inside at night. Cheap and effective.

You did an great job on the Trailer!!
But that dive flag is a giant invitation for theft. Most of us don't even put scuba logos on our luggage because it's a theft target. My friends with scuba trailers all use magnetic side panel signs that get removed and placed inside at night. Cheap and effective.

Thought of that but it will be either in my garage in the city, shore side with other dives around or at my cottage.

You're absolutely right on the luggage though... not a single sticker on my dive luggage. Just simple Samsonite hard shells.

not sure what you are pulling it with, or if upsizing would require a different vehicle, but seeing you are in the Great White North, would there ever be a need to use the trailer for warming up during a surface interval or even a place to hang out between dives? 3 people in a 4x6 would be tight. A little larger trailer would allow space for a generator to run heat(generator outside of course) and room to put some folding chairs to relax between dives....or hide from polar bears. It is Canada after all....aye?

Where does the keg of Moosehead and hockey gear go? I Probably should apologize, everything I know about Canada I learned from Bob and Doug Mackenzie, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Rush.

Dive safe! Tell Moose and Squirrel hello for me!
Jay
Everything I know about Canada....

not sure what you are pulling it with, or if upsizing would require a different vehicle, but seeing you are in the Great White North, would there ever be a need to use the trailer for warming up during a surface interval or even a place to hang out between dives? 3 people in a 4x6 would be tight. A little larger trailer would allow space for a generator to run heat(generator outside of course) and room to put some folding chairs to relax between dives....or hide from polar bears. It is Canada after all....aye?

Where does the keg of Moosehead and hockey gear go? I Probably should apologize, everything I know about Canada I learned from Bob and Doug Mackenzie, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Rush.

Dive safe! Tell Moose and Squirrel hello for me!
Jay
Everything I know about Canada....

Not sure if I should laugh or shake my head lol

For the record our 3 month summer hits what we call 91% of hot... or 91f, 30c for us in the metric world ;-)

But yeah... I’ve seen polar bears underwater
704F5BB5-70F8-4FD8-856E-AF20DB2A15B1.jpeg

My only thought is the bigger trailer will give you more room to move around in and room for more gear later if you need it.

I like the concept but can I ask a few questions please. Do the wheels extend outside the trailer chassis? I assume so otherwise you would have to allow for the wheel arch inside. What are you doing for drainage, even diving freshwater you probably do not want water pooling on the floor. Have you thought about roof vents so you get air flow as you are driving?
I hope it works for you, and I hope you publish pictures of the fit out
Cheers

Nice that polar bear didn't see you.

I like the concept but can I ask a few questions please. Do the wheels extend outside the trailer chassis? I assume so otherwise you would have to allow for the wheel arch inside. What are you doing for drainage, even diving freshwater you probably do not want water pooling on the floor. Have you thought about roof vents so you get air flow as you are driving?
I hope it works for you, and I hope you publish pictures of the fit out
Cheers

No wheel arches, perfectly flat floor.

Water is a concern. At this point I will be waterproofing the floor with some sort of coating (researching), installing floor drains for towing and storage will be tilted with door open (secure garage). I will have passive venting for towing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom