Building a tank rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm doing my first official DIY project. A tank rack for the back of my car.

Here's my question. All you guys using PVC for everything but plumbing. Do you use PVC glue or something else such as crazy glue?

I've never done this before, so I'm just wondering if PVC glue is strong enough to hold, once you put some weight and stress on something, such as a tank rack, drying rack, etc?

PVC glue all the way! Be sure to prep the surface with the stuff in the can or a clean piece of emery cloth.

:spaninq:

grunzster once bubbled...
I'm doing my first official DIY project. A tank rack for the back of my car.

Here's my question. All you guys using PVC for everything but plumbing. Do you use PVC glue or something else such as crazy glue?

I've never done this before, so I'm just wondering if PVC glue is strong enough to hold, once you put some weight and stress on something, such as a tank rack, drying rack, etc?

Glue? You just want one of those things to stop your tank from rolling around, right?

R..

No I'm actually building a rack, or actually kind of a shelf.
That way I can stack stuff on top.

Yes I mean in general.
Oh and thanks!

rack.jpg

tanks.jpg

I used 1" with no glue! I put part of it together without glue, to double check measurements, etc.

It was so hard to get it back apart to glue that, I just banged the fittings on nice and tight with a hammer. Used it all weekend and it worked great!

Grunzter,

It looks great, I may have to make one for my van. I would suggest taking the time to pull it apart and to use the PVC pipe "glue", it will actually weld the pieces together by melting the pvc and then resetting as one. It's very strong.....I would be afraid that one nutty driver cutting you off and a quick touch of the brakes could cause a bed full of loose tanks :wacko:

just my $.02

Actually the uprights are 8". I made it a little bigger so I had some room to play with.

I may glue it eventually. I don't think it really needs it though. Just from being hand tight I had to bang it with a hammer to get the few pieces apart before I gave up.

Also since PVC glue sets pretty quick, I'm afraid it will bond before I can even get the pipe all the way in, since they fit so tight and also that some parts may not line up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom