Bull Shark Diving in Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did one in Cuba where the bull sharks congregate naturally in a narrow channel at certain times of year. However the guide's do coax them by hand with small pieces of fish to come closer which I'd rather they not do. The thing is the dive itself is pretty nice even without sharks- a shore dive where you follow an old wreck down to about 80ft. The happenstance of getting a glimpse of the sharks at the bottom without goading them with bait would be more special imo, not to mention more ecologically friendly.

Does anyone ever see bull sharks in Coz? I've only seen nurse sharks in my limited experience there.

Does anyone ever see bull sharks in Coz? I've only seen nurse sharks in my limited experience there.
Mostly nurse sharks, but I did see a black tip once! We dive there regularly and love Coz. My quest is to see a batfish!

Last edited:
Mostly nurse sharks, but I did see a black tip once! We dive there regularly and love Coz. My quest is to see a batfish!

I think it's weird that bulls are just across the channel. Are they afraid of the deep? [written in sarcastic font].

I was in PDC and Cozumel two weeks ago diving with Dressels, they offered the bull shark dive while I was there but advised against it as they have not been really seeing much that week. The dive before I had inquired they had only seen 1. They say that the bull sharks have seemed to have left and already given birth. You can inquire while you're there but you might be out of luck.

I made a good situation out of it though, I decided to do the cenotes, dove with Under The Jungle dive shop... they are really great divers and really care about conservation. If you don't try the bull sharks I suggest you try the cenotes.

I saw one nurse shark when I was in Coz. I am probably in the minority here, but I wasn't too impressed with Cozumel when I went last July. Next to no marine life

I saw one nurse shark when I was in Coz. I am probably in the minority here, but I wasn't too impressed with Cozumel when I went last July. Next to no marine life
You need to find a new dive op, I have been there 7 times and have seen tons of marine life. Last June alone I probably saw at least 20 nurse sharks on 5 dive trips. You do see a lot more marine life on the shallower dives, above 60' though.

You need to find a new dive op, I have been there 7 times and have seen tons of marine life. Last June alone I probably saw at least 20 nurse sharks on 5 dive trips. You do see a lot more marine life on the shallower dives though.

Yes..., but have you seen any bulls in Coz?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom