Bull Sharks in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luis rivera

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The Sharks are around!
In the Winter time the Bull Sharks come to Playa del Carmen and its a awesome feeling to dive with them:D! Last week we saw a group of 7 Sharks, only 5 minutes boat ride from the Playa Beach in 60 ft depth. Check the videos of "Playa Scuba Dive Center" on YouTube, also check the web for Playa Scuba Dive Center * Diving in Playa del Carmen * Diving in Cozumel * Diving in Cenotes* Diving in Mexico, small personalized groups- best rates in Playa!
See you under water

url]

Last edited:
Yes they are!! We just went out today to the edge of the Cantil and we were greeted by the first shark of the dive 1 1/2 minutes into the dive. We ended up seeing about 8-10 sharks on the dive and 2 hung out with us the entire dive up to 50 ft. Amazing experience and that was actually the second time we have seen them this year already! Great winter ahead of us.

Any idea how long the season is and when it sort of "peaks"?

I'm toying with the idea of doing the sailfish trips out of Isla Mujeres and this sounds like a decent side trip.

Thanks.

I will be down there in the middle of December through to the New Year. I've never been on a dive with sharks nearby but Wikipedia has this to say about bull sharks:
Bull sharks are solitary hunters.[6] They often cruise through shallow waters. They can suddenly burst into speed and can be highly aggressive, even attacking a racehorse in the Brisbane River in the Australian state of Queensland.[3] They are extremely territorial and will attack other animals – including humans – that enter their territory. Along with the great white, tiger and oceanic whitetip sharks, bull sharks are among the four species considered the most dangerous to humans, and is probably the most dangerous of the four species. One or more bull sharks may have been responsible for the Jersey Shore shark attacks of 1916, which inspired the movie Jaws.[12].

Many experts think the bull shark is responsible for most of the deaths around the Sydney Harbour inlets in the past.[citation needed] Most of these attacks were previously thought to be great whites. In India the bull shark cruises up the Ganges River where it has killed and attacked a large number of people. It also eats the corpses that the local population floats on the river. Many of these attacks have been wrongly blamed on the Ganges shark, Glyphis gangeticus,[citation needed] a fairly rare species that is probably the only other shark that can live comfortably in both saltwater and freshwater. The grey nurse shark was also blamed in the sixties and seventies

Is diving with these guys around a good idea?

The Sharks are around!
In the Winter time the Bull Sharks come to Playa del Carmen and its a awesome feeling to dive with them:D! Last week we saw a group of 7 Sharks, only 5 minutes boat ride from the Playa Beach in 60 ft depth. Check the videos of "Playa Scuba Dive Center" on YouTube, also check the web for Playa Scuba Dive Center * Diving in Playa del Carmen * Diving in Cozumel * Diving in Cenotes* Diving in Mexico, small personalized groups- best rates in Playa!
See you under water

ImageShack - Hosting :: mocchetoros13noviembre2su2.jpg

my.php

Is diving with these guys around a good idea?

Not for the faint of heart! Can't wait to get there in March! Hopefully they'll still be around, if not off to the Cenotes with Klaus (Well that'll happen no matter what, the only thing better than badass Sharks are the Cenotes!).

Not for the faint of heart! Can't wait to get there in March! Hopefully they'll still be around, if not off to the Cenotes with Klaus (Well that'll happen no matter what, the only thing better than badass Sharks are the Cenotes!).

I have been doing some research and if the bulls are around, I think I'll stick to the cenotes. Although there are oft repeated memes like "more people die from falling coconuts" -and I should point out that after a trip to the library and I can find no statistics from the WHO, the CDC or any medical journal which indicates that data on coconut deaths are recorded- every book or journal article on bull sharks says they are bad news. Several marine biologists recommend avoiding them entirely.

More so than any other species, bulls engage in anthrophagy. No thanks!

I was out with GeoFish last week just outside of Chunzumbul.

Our sole purpose was to find some bull sharks. Morgan and Max had heard from some fisherman that there were sharks out there.

Gerrardo, our guide, had them drop us off at about 85 feet. Nothing but sand underneath us. We started our dive from the deep towards the shallows. About 4 or 5 minutes into the dive, we saw our first shark. He (pretty sure it was a male due to its size) was trolling the reef's edge. Shortly thereafter, we saw two more. About 10 minutes into the dive, we saw our last one ... although we couldn't be certain if it wasn't one of the other three.

At the end of the dive, we were doing our safety stop and saw a southern stingray.

I haven't had time to write up a trip report yet, but GeoFish really took care of us. I was itching to go find those Bull Sharks, and they custom tailored a dive for us. They are absolutely one of the best shops I have ever dove with. I am looking forward to the next trip and will post a trip report when I am un-buried.

Yes, the bulls are running.

GeoFish Scuba Diving - Barracuda Reef Information - Playa del Carmen Mexico
Geofish Dive in Playa del Carmen - Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, PADI Dive Instruction and Kiteboarding

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom