Bull Sharks in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoL!!! Thanks for that story Diver Lori! You had me in stitches!!!:rofl3: I know what you mean though...sometimes its just better to grab you partner's BCD and spin them around to quickly show them showing cool. Here we have seen marlin and sailfish pass by on safety stops. It is rare but does happen. We've even seen whalesharks going by when they are migrating from Honduras to the North Yucatan area. Now seeing one of those :shocked2:will really get your heart going!:D

Last edited:
Third encounter within the last week and a half, with the bulls yesterday. I will never get tired of seeing these beautiful creatures in the water. I honestly think anyone who loves this sport of scuba should experience this first hand at least once in their lifetime. It will change your idea of SHARKS!!! forever. We will keep everyone posted on sightings.

Went to 120' and swam back to the sand. Encountered our first shark at 85'. A BIG one about 3 1/2 meters. I would guess there were four or five sharks with us. only one or two being visible at one time. What a dive! Even got a picture. A little off center though....sorry.

Attachments

• BullShark4.jpg
    BullShark4.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 310
Playa del Carmen Bull Shark dive with Playa Scuba Dive Center. Hey guys you can say lots of stuff

video does not lie.

My buddy and I dived with mating bull sharks off Bat Island Costa Rica back in 1998. The dive op did not know they were mating when we descended, but called all the other ops when we got back to warn them.

They were very aggressive and to say the least we were all "one with the rocks". The divemaster for our group got charged a couple of times. He signaled and we swam off, laying low to the rocks, my buddy and I actually doing a pull and glide to stay low and away, until we got away from the mating area. (don't fret, no coral there)

We did our deco stop at 15' without a reference as the op was doing live pickup. My buddy and I just faced each other during our deco....every so often I would look down expecting to see the typical JAWS clip of a open-mouthed shark coming up fast from the bottom to nibble on us! :rofl3:

The really cool thing on that dive was the deco stop. While we were hanging there, I looked off into the water column over my buddy's shoulder. I saw a marlin meandering behind him and quickly spun him around so he would not miss it. If I had gestured for him to look he wouldn't have turned in time. We still laugh to this day about that incident....he likes to tell people what was on his mind when I spun him...."I was sure a bull was coming up behind us and she was throwing me at him to save herself". We were later told we should have been more concerned about the marlin, than we were about the bulls. :blinking:

Thanks for sharing that story. That's something you will never forget.

These bullsharks have got me very interested. I dove in Akumal in Feb of this year and enjoyed the cenote diving but not the reef diving in the area. I would definately have made the drive up to Playa for a couple of days if I knew I had a chance at seeing these great animals. Heck, I would make a day trip from Coz during the peak shark season if I knew there was a decent likelyhood of seeing them.

Thanks for the vids and pics.

PH

I will be down there in the middle of December through to the New Year. I've never been on a dive with sharks nearby but Wikipedia has this to say about bull sharks:

Is diving with these guys around a good idea?

Yes, bullsharks are dangerous in murky waters cause thier eyesite is bad. But, in playa del carmen where the water is clean and crystal clear it is not as dangerous. I was on a shark dive, that was no more then 100 feet out from the main peir in playa del carmen. Food was present and within mins of arriving on the bottom at 90 feet, we were surronded by 20 or more large bullsharks. They had no interest in us as a food source, and as for single hunters, I have seen them in large packs. These sharks came within just a few feet of me, and looking at me and my gear, they are not stupid creatures. Have a look at my shark video, you will not believe your eyes. I love bullsharks, and they have gain my respect.

YouTube - banffski's Channel

Good luck

Play safe

J

Back
Top Bottom