Bunaken + Lembeh (Bangka?) for 7 days in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually really excited to dive Lembeh. Even though I don't have an underwater photo kit (yet), I usually maintain a saltwater reef tank at home, and some of the most interesting critters in a tank are the little ones: the pom pom crabs, the shrimp, the tiny fish. I'm hoping to get an evening dive in to see mandarin fish, which are gorgeous and endemic to the Lembeh area. Someday I will shell out for an underwater camera housing for my SLR, but that day is not yet come. I've thought about getting a cheaper underwater camera, but it doesn't seem to be worth it for me, since I like to have control over my images. Plus, from everything I've read and images I've seen, a good strobe light (or strobes) is key to making good underwater images.

I appreciate the warning about current and walls. Did some drift diving off a wall in Fiji and it was a challenge to be sure. We're still at the point where we're not fish yet, so every dive is a learning experience. We're comfortable underwater, but still very aware that we are novices. I'm glad for every opportunity to dive I get. Each additional dive brings so much more to see and learn.

Good to know about stocking up on snacks before we're on Bangka. It'll be a bit deserted out there, but we'll have plenty of reading material to keep us occupied. E-readers are great for traveling.

Im sure you will enjoy it..I did two mandarin fish less trips to Bunaken before I finally found them at Bangka...and yes, the currents - particularly up and down currents can wreak havoc at certain times of the year. As much as I hate touching anything underwater I dive with one glove on because I enjoy a good current but not one thats taking me down to see King Neptune so you may have to grab onto the wall if you do cop a down current. On your last no fly day you should check out Mt Tangkoko national park and see the Tarsiers and the Yakis and if you want a bit of comfort and a big hot bath after trekking tangkoko check out the Grand Puri hotel. From memory the last time i was there the nightly rate was $66 - and the spa is absolutely amazing. Agree with the E Readers - I bought one after my first trip to Bangka.

We have just booked a trip to Tangkoko on our last no-fly day, and curious to see these tarsiers. What are yakis? Since we have an early 6:00am international flight the next day, we plan to stay at the Novotel close to the airport. Looks decent, and $48 USD.

Since we have an early 6:00am international flight the next day, we plan to stay at the Novotel close to the airport. Looks decent, and $48 USD.
More than decent, excellent breakast, never understood why they were selling at such low rate, it's a steal.
Since you will be there for one night, I suggest you go out for dinner in Manado at Raja Sate, their chicken or beef satays are awesome, as well as the spicy grilled grouper and for dessert the local klapper taart (coconut and custard pie). It only takes 15-20 minutes taxi ride to go downtown and not even 10USD.

More than decent, excellent breakast, never understood why they were selling at such low rate, it's a steal.
Since you will be there for one night, I suggest you go out for dinner in Manado at Raja Sate, their chicken or beef satays are awesome, as well as the spicy grilled grouper and for dessert the local klapper taart (coconut and custard pie). It only takes 15-20 minutes taxi ride to go downtown and not even 10USD.

That sounds fantastic, Luko. Thanks for the recommendation!

Yakis are Black Macaques with a big red loveheart on their bums...you should see them on the way to the Tarsier tree. Unlike the standard pig tailed macaques that like to steal everything a la bali these guys are really cool. Theyre often found swimming and playing around the surf just in from the rangers station - your guide will find them, there are two families at Tangkoko.

Just joined your thread and for my 5cents worth, You are going to love it. I have never dived Bangka but spent 15 dives in Bunnaken and 22 dives in Lembeh and honestly could not make up my mind as to which I enjoyed most. Bunnaken was the walls and corals and big fish and currents as mentioned and Lembeh was the critters. I had never done muck diving before so was really startled on my first dive, wondering what I had gotten myself into but by the end I couldn't get enough! Mandarin fish are a must and can be found at all 3 sites. Make sure you build in a night dive or 2 at Lembeh as the night creatures are exquisite!

On the photography kit note, I use a Canon 40D normally, and went to price a case for it only to find that I could get 2 G10+case combos for the price of the 1 SLR housing. Decided to get 1 G10 and housing and strobe as a starter (also keeps my SLR safe away from water in case of accident). I have never looked back and would recommend a slightly cheaper option as a starter! Especially if you are going to be in North Sulawesi!

Wingy, those Yakis look incredible. If only we had more time to spend, I'd also love to get over to Borneo to see the orangutans as well. Maybe on a next trip. In pictures, the Tangkoko forest looks almost as amazing as the underwater world of Bunaken and Lembeh. I'll just have to go and find out for myself to be sure. :wink:

Kinjite, thanks for the photography tip. I like your idea to get a slightly cheaper camera with housing + strobe as a starter. I will look into it. At this point, however, our travel plans are about to take up the majority of our discretionary budget. In addition to North Sulawesi, we will be going to Vietnam, China, and Japan. Most of the underwater digital camera kits I've seen are pretty expensive. Tradeoffs have to be made...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom