Bunaken vs. Lembeh Strait

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, finally I have booked my tickets to Manado in July. I will be diving there for a total of 6 days. I am planning splitting my stay on Manado-diving Bunaken and Lembeh Strait. How do you guys think I should split up my time or the number of dives? It seems like Bunaken has more dive sites than Lembeh Stait. However, everybody has made so much fuss about critters at Lembeh Strait. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a suggestion: Let us know everything about your trip and what you see and where!

I am considering the exact same trip plan, 1st Lembeh Straights, maybe at Lembeh Resort or KBR for 4 days for the macro, and 3 days at Bunaken for the visibility.

If you have 6 diving days and you are more into blue water diving, then just make 1 day trips to Lembeh. If you like it (I am sure you will), you can do another day trip the next day. Depending on where you stay in Manado, it takes 40mins to 60mins to make the journey to Bitung. Do not stay in Bunaken if you wanna do both Bunaken and Lembeh. Anyway, I always stay in Manado.

Liangness:
If you have 6 diving days and you are more into blue water diving, then just make 1 day trips to Lembeh. If you like it (I am sure you will), you can do another day trip the next day. Depending on where you stay in Manado, it takes 40mins to 60mins to make the journey to Bitung. Do not stay in Bunaken if you wanna do both Bunaken and Lembeh. Anyway, I always stay in Manado.

Well, I like blue water diving, but I love UW photography. Is Lembeh Strait the place for that, or are the two places pretty much equal on that?

Anyway, I am spending a few days in Manado (diving mainly Bunaken) and then a few days in Lembeh Strait. I'm just wondering how should I split up my time between the two places as I need to make the arrangements in advance.

If u are into photography (I am a photographer myself), then you have to go to Lembeh Straits for at least 2 days for the macro.

You'll find, hairy anglerfish, pygmy seahorse (both pink and yellow), harlequin shrimp, boxer crab, blue ring octopus, flamboyant cuttlefish, banggai cardinal, jawfish, cryniod shrimps and squat lobster etc etc...... (Mimic octopus if you are lucky)

The coast of Manado also offer loads of wonderful critters. For sea fans and reef scene, go to Bunaken!

I always use my favourite Manado dive guide, Epy Takapente. He is very good with photographers and has help several famous photographers to get their photos. He speaks good English as well.

He is currently working at Minahasa Prima Resort. www.minahasadivers.com. You can talk to Kartiman and mention that Liang recommended you and you must ask for Epy!!!

Liang

Note that Lembeh is muck diving, you will see trash and visibility can be bad!

Liangness:
Note that Lembeh is muck diving, you will see trash and visibility can be bad!

trash ... do you mean rubbish actually in the sea?
Also, how bad is the visibility? In my research, I read about visibility being 10-20m. It seems ok for macro-photography, am I correct?

maybe you should read up what muck diving is like before heading to lembeh to avoid disappointment. btw, you are diving off the locals' backyard!

if you get 10m vis in lembeh, it is consider quite decent. stick to bunaken and manado if you want 20m vis.

How's the weather been there? I am flying there July 1 and am concerned about the rain!

Normally the weather is good in summer dry season in North Sulawesi.

Southern Sulawesi is in the news now becuase of rain and mudslides, but normally Bunaken (in North Sulawesi) is dry all summer, there may be rain in Manado (because of the mountains behind the city) and it can be sunny on Bunaken.

Back
Top Bottom