Bungees????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d once bubbled...

detroit diver,

Can you tell me why I need my SPG in a place that my buddy can see it more easily than I can? Tthat makes no sense to me and I'm not trolling just want to know why that's better.

With good buddy skills, your buddy should be able to know how much gas you have without having to go thru contortions to get that information. If this were clipped off to your chest d-ring, he/she would have to go under or over you to unclip the d-ring to see the gauge.

With some minimal practice, it's no big deal for you to check your gas by unclipping it from the left D-ring. You'll need this skill anyway during OOA or OOA drills-you show your buddy your available gas.

I've tried clipping it to the left chest d-ring before, but find that it doesnt keep the front profile as clean as if clipped to the left hip. Also if ur carrying stage bottles on the left, it does get in the way. Since the stage bottles also have SPG facing u, if u clip ur main SPG on ur left chest d-ring, may end up taking the wrong readings.

Just my $0.02 worth :)

filtered once bubbled...
I've tried clipping it to the left chest d-ring before, but find that it doesnt keep the front profile as clean as if clipped to the left hip. Also if ur carrying stage bottles on the left, it does get in the way. Since the stage bottles also have SPG facing u, if u clip ur main SPG on ur left chest d-ring, may end up taking the wrong readings.

Just my $0.02 worth :)

Why does he have to look at it himself? Why can't he point at his open hand like we were taught in OW class?

taat2d once bubbled...

Why does he have to look at it himself? Why can't he point at his open hand like we were taught in OW class?

If your buddy is not responding properly, ie narced, tox, etc, you need to do this independently of him.

detroit diver once bubbled...

If your buddy is not responding properly, ie narced, tox, etc, you need to do this independently of him.

THANK YOU!!!!! Now I fully understand. AND my SPG will alwys be clipped off to my left side waist D-ring. Thanx for the explanation. That's a much better reason than having to hear, " clip it there cuz that's where it goes."

Now THAT makes sense!

I think the biggest reason that folks resist such suggestions - say as in DIR - is that no one really explains WHY you want to do these things. Hearing someone say "If your gonna dive like this you had better bring a supply of body bags" is sure colorful, entertaining and all, but it doesn't tell you WHY all these practices were developed and for WHAT reason they were. Many of us don't know the history and evolution of diving, etc. aand why certain practices were deadly, etc.

I have the DIR:F book at home - its great, but what is lacking in the explaination of HOW & WHY some of these directives were established. Tell us WHY they suggest you do this like this and that like that so - not just because if you don't your a ****** - and I won't use that word!

EXPLAIN to us new guys (or seasoned divers) just WHY you believe that a certain way is good, bad, indifferant or deadly - and whats fact vs. fiction.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Now THAT makes sense!

I think the biggest reason that folks resist such suggestions - say as in DIR - is that no one really explains WHY you want to do these things. Hearing someone say "If your gonna dive like this you had better bring a supply of body bags" is sure colorful, entertaining and all, but it doesn't tell you WHY all these practices were developed and for WHAT reason they were. Many of us don't know the history and evolution of diving, etc. aand why certain practices were deadly, etc.

I have the DIR:F book at home - its great, but what is lacking in the explaination of HOW & WHY some of these directives were established. Tell us WHY they suggest you do this like this and that like that so - not just because if you don't your a ****** - and I won't use that word!

EXPLAIN to us new guys (or seasoned divers) just WHY you believe that a certain way is good, bad, indifferant or deadly - and whats fact vs. fiction.

Part of the problem here is that you can't learn diving on the internet. You can pick up bits and pieces, but without taking the class most of what you learn will either be wrong or meaningless. The class puts together the whole picture. If you really want to learn-spend the time and money and take the DIRF class. Everyone who has ever posted on this board that has taken the class will tell you that it is the finest dive class that they have ever been involved in. Every one.

To me, that says a lot.

Back
Top Bottom