Bungees????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
JeffG once bubbled...
What would be your underwater response to one of these hypothetical situations?

Hopefully not sinking:)

No, I'd do what I was trained to do for a given situation.<snip>

And what were you trained to do?

water pressure will squeeze air out of a BC just as efficiently as bungee cord?? I think if you have a leak in your wing at depth, the air will be forced out whether you have bungees or not. Another urban scuba legend,IMO.:)

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Hmmm,
wonder WHY?

So your buddy can see it without having to do contortions or unclipping it from your chest D-ring. If it's on your left hip d-ring, he can just swim up and look at it.

detroit diver,
Well, I have thought of that one myself and that’s plain old common sense. However, since no one has had an actual 'experience' of such, how do we know that this 'theory' holds water (pun intended).

Well, let's put this another way. You can balance a knife on your eye and jump up and down. Common sense says that this might not be a wise thing to do. I don't know anyone, however, that would want to test this theory with actual experience.

If it doesn't make common sense, why tempt it?

detroit diver,
What if the face is pointed in? How will my buddy see it then on my left hip?

detroit diver,
What if the face is pointed in? How will my buddy see it then on my left hip?

He just turns the face around to look at it.

who actually had a puncture on their OMS bungeed wings, I can tell you it was no more than an inconvenience. Sure I had to add air from time to time... but in reality, I wasn't even sure that I had punctured it until I got on the boat. The hole is about a 1/4" on the cover and just a little larger on the bladder. I never experienced the infamous "uncontrolled descent" and I even made a dive after that! All I did after the dive was to patch the bladder with a tire patch. Big whoop.

The runaway deflation theory should be retired with a ton of other myths, like peeing on jellyfish stings, all sharks will attack or that you will off-gas better while in a horizontal position. Just like being way over weighted, it can only deminish the credibility of those who use it.

NetDoc once bubbled...
The runaway deflation theory should be retired with a ton of other myths, like peeing on jellyfish stings, all sharks will attack or that you will off-gas better while in a horizontal position. Just like being way over weighted, it can only deminish the credibility of those who use it.

I dunno Pete. I'm not sure about the deflation thing and I know sharks don't generally attack but I think the other 2 are based on reality.

WW

This is a debate that will likely go on forever unresolved. OMS had an independant facility test their wings - Argo Labs, which found no perceivable differance between bungeed and non-bungeed wings...

detroit diver once bubbled...

So your buddy can see it without having to do contortions or unclipping it from your chest D-ring. If it's on your left hip d-ring, he can just swim up and look at it.

detroit diver,

Can you tell me why I need my SPG in a place that my buddy can see it more easily than I can? Tthat makes no sense to me and I'm not trolling just want to know why that's better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom