Bungees????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d once bubbled...

It sure seems like they do.

You may get this impression from the board. But Halcyon does not manufacture every piece of gear that you need to go diving. The only item that I can think of where there seems to be a general agreement is Halcyon's wing. But many tek divers, whether GUE members or not, will recommend it as well. The rest is open.

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
I don't care what brand of gear you use nothing is bullet proof. as far as the bungeed wing goes, DIR can't sell there gear on it's own merits so they have to create hypothetical situations (problems) to use against their competition. And I know DIR doesn't sell gear, they just endorse halycon.

What would be your underwater response to one of these hypothetical situations?

Hopefully not sinking:)

JeffG once bubbled...
What would be your underwater response to one of these hypothetical situations?

Hopefully not sinking:)

No, I'd do what I was trained to do for a given situation. :) IMO, based upon what I've read, they (DIR) can not support with FACTS, their arguments against bungeed wings. So again, IMO much of what they say about bungeed wings is a marketing/sales gimick. I didn't want to get into an anti DIR debate. Some of their ideas are quite good and make a lot of sense, on the other hand, I don't necessarly believe in the minimalist appoach either.

taat2d once bubbled...

It sure seems like they do.

If you've taken any GUE classes, you will know that they do not promote any particular manufacturer. They do promote TYPES of products- those that meet their requirements for performance and safety.

Well I'd love to see Halcyon or some independent LDS do some actual studies with a bungee wing vs. non-bungee wings and show, with absolute certainty and proof once-and-for-all that:

*Bungee wings DO or DO NOT present a dangerous situation if the bladder suffers a puncture...

*Bungee wings require more psi to inflate orally vs. non-bungee wings

*Bungee wings DO or DO NOT actually experience more drag than a no-bungee wing.

My thoughts would be that a bungee wing suffers LESS drag than a non bungeed wing because there isn't an issue of 'sloppiness' of extra material wagging around. On the other hand, does the convoluted shape of where the bungee's pinch in provide a drag area?

Any ENGINEERS on this web site that can offer any opinions on this topic of drag?

Well, I'm not an engineer, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express, but common sense tells me that if you squeeze a bag with a hole in it, the air will come rushing out. If you don't squeeze that bag, IF the air comes out it will be very slowly as opposed to squeezing it.

A balloon is the most perfect example-the rubber would be the bungees. I'm not suggesting that it would explode, but the results are just too obvious.

detroit diver once bubbled...

If you've taken any GUE classes, you will know that they do not promote any particular manufacturer. They do promote TYPES of products- those that meet their requirements for performance and safety.

You're right I haven't taken any GUE courses so I really can't say. But I can say this. It seems to me that MOST Dir diver's I've spoken with and those that post on here all seem to feel and promote Halcyon as being the best and only gear they will use. So saying that now you can understand why I was under the impression that GUE promoted Halcyon.

I'd also like to add that I have been slowly changing my gear and setup to the simplistic ideas and view of DIR divers. I have learned alot about streamlining and such from this board and divers I've met. I'm just not on board with things I hear and I'll give you a for instance, I just switched my comp to a wrist mount, and a seperate SPG. I was told to clip off my SPG to my left D-ring. When asked wy there and not the chest D-ring for obviouls viewing, I was told that that's just the way it is. the SPG goes on your left waist D-ring.

Telling someone that's the way it is for gear configuration is kinda silly don't you think? It seems that most people put DIR divers and view soo high on a shelf and it kinda becomes cult like as it trickles down from the courses. And let me make myself clear I'm not saying anything bad about GUE/DIR, as I've said I changed alot of my gear configurations in the same manner.

But getting back to this post. I hear alot of talk about people supposedly dying using BWOD. But not one person that has made that statement supporting FACTS, that these deaths were in direct conjunction with these so called BWOD. YEs people h ave dies using OMS bungeed wings, yes people have died using Halcyon and other wings, but where does it say that anyone dies BECAUSE of their wing selection?

detroit diver,
Well, I have thought of that one myself and that’s plain old common sense. However, since no one has had an actual 'experience' of such, how do we know that this 'theory' holds water (pun intended).

Taat2d, the reason an SPG isn't supposed to come up, say, from your left side and clip onto a D-ring on the right side D-ring is because in the event of a entanglement they MAY need to remove their BP/harness to cut themselves free or work themselves out of it. That’s what I heard - correct me anyone if this is wrong and there is ANOTHER reason for it.

Scoobie

that point I understand for the obvious reasons. I asked about the LEFT chest D-ring. And was still told NO ledft waist just becaude thats where it goes.

Back
Top Bottom