Buoyancy Characteristics Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to force my own situation or personal expectations onto the OP, but I have a habit of wearing extremely old, worn rental 7mm suits in cold water, and doubling up two 3mm full suits in the tropics, and still end up with ~10-12lb difference between the two. So just armchairing from 3,000 miles away, the situation makes me raise an eyebrow.

WAIT you ware a (worn)7mm and then 6mm(two 3mm's) and have a 10lb-12lb difference between the two???:headscratch: Thats really a head scratchier.

WAIT you ware a (worn)7mm and then 6mm(two 3mm's) and have a 10lb-12lb difference between the two???:headscratch: Thats really a head scratchier.

Yep. For me, two 3mm suits is pretty close to a single 5mm in warmth, and in buoyancy. Movement typically feels less restricted than in a single 7mm as well, though of course all of the above can be attributed to the specific sample set I've used. IIRC the weighting doubled up comes out to be about 10-12lb, which is in-line with 5mm, and also still adds up to the difference with a 7mm, math-wise (~4-6lb per 3mm, ~20lb for the 7mm; it all stays consistent).

Also, with 3mm diving i typically don't have a lot of the ancillaries (hood, gloves, thick booties) that are given requirements with cold water diving in the 7mm. A common hood used in Monterey can be 5lb buoyant by itself (though mine is only a couple of lbs, until I pick up my new one next week :D).

Yep. For me, two 3mm suits is pretty close to a single 5mm in warmth, and in buoyancy. Movement typically feels less restricted than in a single 7mm as wel

Sweet I have been debating weather to buy a 7mm or a 2nd 3mm as I would only use it for 2 months out of the year here in FLorida when the lakes are in the 50's. I like the less restriction idea. I would have to add a Hood of course since last time I tried to dive without one in 55F I didn't last 3 mins.:holysheep:IT HURT.

Sweet I have been debating weather to buy a 7mm or a 2nd 3mm as I would only use it for 2 months out of the year

I have never used layered 3mm suits in cold water, but 55 degrees is in the high range in Monterey and I would still wear a 7mm at a minimum for those temps. Greg can confirm that I'm a huge cold water wimp, and in the 50s I'd be thinking more about 7mm farmer johns instead of layering 3mms!

A hood is definitely a good idea. There are a couple of crazy instructors here who go in sans hood, but for us sane types, gotta keep that noggin as warm as possible!

I have never used layered 3mm suits in cold water, but 55 degrees is in the high range in Monterey and I would still wear a 7mm at a minimum for those temps. Greg can confirm that I'm a huge cold water wimp, and in the 50s I'd be thinking more about 7mm farmer johns instead of layering 3mms!

A hood is definitely a good idea. There are a couple of crazy instructors here who go in sans hood, but for us sane types, gotta keep that noggin as warm as possible!

See I just try to avoid any lake diving this time a year. I figured 2 3mm would be ok since my one 3mm was not that bad in the lake it's just my hands and head hurt from the start. Thou 3min I really did not give it much of a chance. I tried on my biddies 7mm and hated every second of it. I could barely move. I use my 3mm in the springs which are 72F and anything up to 80F then I use my 0.5mm up to 84F then anything above that I where nothing but a bathing suite.

If it makes you feel better, Kenn, I've been using my drysuit here a fair amount recently. Water temp Saturday was brisk: 75*F.

And I also recommend the hood. My SAC raises by about .05 when I don't use my hood, and it's only 3mm or so.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom