Buoyancy Cruise Control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As another NEW Diver I don't think I'd ever want this device. I'm a gadget guy, love my toys but they're just that "toys".

Scuba is a serious sport, if you make a mistake at depth it can kill you. I really don't want my obit to read "His chest exploded because he was too lazy to master Buoyancy".

Now that the weather has turned, I'm spending my $ on pool time so I can practice buoyancy in a safe(er) environment and be ready for my Dive trip in Jan 09 and the following warm season of diving.

So has no one ever seen a new diver whizzing to the surface with their computer beeping frantically? Surely a device which detects a runaway ascent, and instead of beeping futilely, just vents gas to slow to a safe ascent rate, would save lives (or at least expensive recompression treatment)?

It doesn't have to be an autopilot deskilling divers from learning control, just a safety back up system that does nothing unless there's a risk of DCS.

and when it gets it wrong and SENDS a diver to the surface? Or worse sends a diver to the bottom? Or divers start to rely on it then it breaks.

Diving incidents at entry level diving are astonishingly rare - even those that do happen are most likely to be of no consequence at all.

I see a HUGE problem with this that no one has yet to point out. Getting tangled in fishing line or kelp or anything that may be down there seems to be a regular occurance in some parts of the world. I've been snagged on some trees underwater.
What if your fancy BC thinks your a bit too deep at the same time your getting all tied up? It inflates your BC to make you ascend, but oops you can't your stuck. The thing keeps filling until its entirely full then the thing your snagged on lets go. Runaway ascent here we come.

Besides that my SAC would prob triple. Once I get my neutral, and I stay at the same depth, I rarely touch my BC inflator until its surface time.

I think something like this may have a place in diving as a safety feature. Im 100% against it automating the buoyancy of course however something similar is attached to my Parachute rig when I go skydiving. Its called an AAD (automatic opening device) and triggers the reserve if the I am falling too fast at a certain altitude, i.e. I have not opened my main because I am knocked out. Maybe it could trigger is similar underwater emergencies and control the ascent to the surface should a diver for whatever reason go unconscious. Of course there are safety precautions one takes to avoid this kind of thing anyway (diving with Buddy, not headbutting reefs etc) but I wouldnt skydive without my AAD - its a nice safety blanket.

Im not sure if divers knocking themselves unconscious is a big problem but it would be good to know if I ever did that I wouldnt end up as an artificial reef.

Just a thought...

With a parachute you are going to want the thing to open. There is no conceivable situation where you'll NOT want one of them to open.

Diving is different - in a real last ditch emergency ESPECIALLY at the entry level where this is aimed for there may really be a call to get to the surface ASAP without stopping. If this device stops that its dangerous.

Well, I have to say a device that could control a runaway ascent is in theory desirable. Particularly for DSDs and the like. It must be a constant worry whether someone's going to rocket to the surface.

Two things:

1. If there genuinely was a safe technological solution to ascending too rapidly, whether DSD or Deco diver, wouldn't that mitigate various scenarios?

2. eCCRs. Whilst getting better they seem a more regular way to kill people than manual rebreathers. Add electronics, add things that can go wrong. I imagine the device considered here would have similar issues. It would be bad when doing your CESA on a non breath of air, that your device decided you were ascending too rapidly. That could really annoying. To you next of kin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom