Buoyancy Humble Pie -- Old Dog Learns New Tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The feedback is the key. When my brother was doing his checkout dives, I had him wear my spare/loaner dive computer. Then in the evening after the first day, we downloaded the logs and took a look at the graphs. They were significantly non-square, of course. :wink:

As we looked at them, I asked him about various peaks and valleys. What was that really big spike? Ah, it was when his buddy started going out of control and he swam up, stopped the ascent, and helped him back down. A big valley or two came when he got caught up watching fish and descended below his planned depth.

Now, considering it *was* a supervised checkout dive, nothing was egregiously wrong. Still, just looking at the depth profile graph gave him much needed perspective on what was actually happening in his diving. After the next day, we downloaded his dives again and found they showed *much* less in the way of deviations from the plan. He paid more attention to his buddy, which precluded any quick ascents to catch him, and when he was watching fish, he made it a point to keep track of where he was in the water. He *didn't* spend the whole dive trying to be square, and he actually had a much more enjoyable day of diving.

Without the computer profile data, all he would have is a surface-to-surface time, a maximum depth, and an almost completely subjective and obviously unreliable feeling about how the dives went. (In my experience, even the scary students think everything was coming up roses. :biggrin:) With the data, he could see where things didn't go according to plan and give at least a modicum of thought to the reasons why.

The truth is that very few people seem to get bent, and he could probably dive without thinking like a great many people do every day. Taking time to consider his diving and analyze the reality of it, however, certainly improved his diving and by his own admission made it more enjoyable.

I have the Oceanic Geo and while I love the computer I did not want to spend the $100 on the download cable, this may entice me slightly. Still think it should come with the unit the disk did.

I have the Sherwood Whisdom 2 as well but have yet to dive with it. I can only imagine what the results would be this being my second dive. For comic relief I'll dig up this post and let you know after it happens.

After 35+ years riding motorcycles, last year I got the chance to take the "Total Control" advanced rider course, where I learned completely new techniques for handling large bikes, like the full dress Harley. Every turn on every ride I look at as a chance to improve my riding, test myself and grow. Takes nothing from the thrill and enjoyment of the ride!:D

Been diving just as long as I've been riding motorcyles, and I now look at every dive the same way as I do those turns on the bike. A chance to improve my technique, to get the most out of the "ride"!
Got myself hurt once, when I was young and cocky, and "an eperienced diver". Somebody came along and invented those darned BCD's, and this "experienced diver" didn't bother to re train.:shakehead:

The day I stop learning to do either sport that I love, better than I did it before is the day I should quit!

Analyzing your dive profile can certainly be educational. Bravo.

But I suggest you consider the following: At least some computers report variations in depth (actually pressure) that are not as disconcerting as they might first appear. For example, if you have a wrist-mounted computer, moving your arm quickly (and at just the right time) can change the pressure enough to register as a significant excursion in depth. Also if you are doing a very flat dive, but are close to a transition point between two depths, it can appear you did a lot of small ups and downs that aren't really significant.

In other words, your profile display might appear more fuzzy than your dive actually was. Time and depth granularities can affect the likelihood of less-than-accurate reporting.

And to sort of echo gypsyjim's comment: After 30+ years of driving a car, I took an ice and crisis driving course for fun. Turned out to be some of the best money I've ever spent.

I'll bet that you don't walk in a perfectly straight line either :). To me aint much differnce, of course you cant get bent walking crooked.

You don't need to focus on it any more than you have to focus on a timer/spg/depth gauge. The point is that it will keep track of things that happened when you were focused on other things, and let you look afterwards and realize you have room for improvement. If that hurts anyone's ego, then they're living in the delusion of their own perfection. The rest of us see it as a useful tool.

How many dives do you have with a computer vs without one??.....I'm thinking captain has several thousand before the word computer was ever even thought of-last time I checked, he's doing 'just fine'......

Dive Training Magazine always says "Good Divers are Always Learning". I think that says it all.
Congratulations.

I got some news for you---it's like that from tiddly winks players thru neurobrain surgeons.......

After 30+ years of driving a car, I took an ice and crisis driving course for fun. Turned out to be some of the best money I've ever spent.

I read about that course! Sounds like a great investment in safe winter driving (And a heck of a lot of fun, too!:D).

Always fun to hone old skills and learn new ones, be it driving, diving or any activity that sharpens the mind or body!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom