Buoyancy Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

Does anyone have any tips on how to attain neutral buoyancy? I can manage in large open enivironments but when I get into smaller environments I have some difficulty. I think it might have to do with my weight. My buddy was videotaping me and I noticed that my legs hang down and I cannot get horizontal. Do I need more weight? I have a weight integrated BCD.

Tracy,
Practice is the key. If you are unable to stay horizontal when diving, you can play with your tank position in the BCD and moving weights weights in your non-ditchable weight pockets. Your lungs are the best source of bouyancy also.

In a nutshell,... Practice. you need to have your buoyancy down perfectly in open water before overhead. In OW your buoyancy may not be as perfect as you think, because of the huge space you have (aka less referrences) to gauge your buoyancy. One way I worked on mine was to practice hovering in "cave form" in about 3 ft of water in a pool. There's no room for mistakes there. Either you're hovering, on the bottom or on the surface. It was very frustrating for a long time, but I fianlly got it. Coarse tune your buoyancy with your BC & fine tune it with your breathing. The problem with your legs & maintaining a horizontal position sounds like your trim is off. To maintain a feet- up position requires a bit of lower back strength & flexibility. You do not neccesarily need more weight, but maybe need to move it around, closer to your body's center of gravity,... balance it out. You may also need to look at the type & length of cylinder you're using, as opposed to your body length. Since you are interested in cavern anyways,I would strongly suggest you get with a technical instructor who can help trim you out & get your equipment where it is the most efficient for you. Can it be done alone? I suppose so,... but it is much easier to get with someone who has a trained eye & knowledge of what does & doesn't work.

I'm not sure about all the dive schools, but PADI offer a specialty course in buoyancy control and it's not as boring as it sounds. Not only can you have one on one instruction with a teacher which will help you perfect your skills but you will also complete a PADI specialty course. Good luck!

I agree with Tammy's well stated comments with one exception - while you can arch your back to maintain trim, it forces you to use the large muscles in your trunk and the large muscle groups use a commensurately large amount of O2 and then put out about 80% of that volume in CO2. Consequently, that approahc leads to a higher than needed SAC rate or, if you try to artifically lower your SAC, to elevated CO2 levels which exacerbate issues with narcosis and potential oxygen toxicity.

It is well worth the time and effort to work on your trim so that you can hover motionless in the water and stay fairly close to horizontal without having to use back muscles to lever your self into that position.

As noted above, the tank can be moved for and aft on the BC to alter the trim. An issue here is that an AL 80 tends to get lighter in the tail toward the end of a dive, so if you trim for neutral at the start of a dive, you will be slightly feet high at the end, but that's not all bad.

Light (positively buoyant or neutral fins) versus heavy (negatively buoyant) fins can also make a difference in trim, especially as the moment arm is quite long.

Positioning of weights can help, and for a recreational diver a trim weight on the cam band or an ankle weight around the tank valve can help solve a head up trim issue. Redistribution of needed weight is ok, but adding weight is always a bad idea as it aggravates the buoyancy control issues.

Overweighting requires you to carry extra gas in the BC and that larger volume of gas also changes volume more with slight changes in depth, especially in shallow water. So more weight equals more gas which equals more change in buoyancy and the need for more frequent adjustments.

Ideally, you should have just enough weight to stay neutral at 15' at the end of the dive with 500 psi in the tank and no gas at all in the wing. That allows you to hold a safety stop without effort and if you are in a wetsuit it will leave you slightly positive on the surface, even without adding gas to the BC. With an AL 80 that also means you are no more than about 4 pounds negative at the surface with a full tank, so overweigthing should not be an issue.

Your lung volume will cause a buoyancy swing of 4-5 pounds as well, so you will never truly be "neutral" but will instead shift from positive to negative as you inhale and exhale. The good news is that inertia is your friend here as a 1-2 pound shift in buoyancy takes a while to have an impact on your total mass.

The bad news is that this also means there is some lag when making adjustments to your buoyancy and this is where the practice. practice, practice thing comes into play. With lots of practice, very small additions or dumps from the wing, and careful attention to detail, you will develop a feel that will allow you to note the impact of breathing on bouyancy, anticipate buoyancy changes with changes in depth and add just enough or release just enough gas from the BC to achieve and maintain neutral buoyancy concurrent with an efficiant breathing cycle. Eventually you get to the point you can use inhalation and exhalation timing to initiate and stop descents with very minor releases or additons during and at the bottom or top of a depth change to hold the depth when you reach it - and do it without really having to think about it. But it takes practice and you have to be aware of and pay attention to the big picture until you develop a feel for it.

---

And not to start a BC versus BP wing argument, but in my opinion, precise buoyancy control is much easier in a backplate and wing because you are more more solidly connected to your buoyancy control source and can feel what's happening a lot better.

Tracy -- neutral buoyancy is simple physics. Achieving it means adjusting the net density of yourself and your scuba gear to that of water. You can be neutral in any position in the water (look at the buddha-hover that some DMs do) so long as you do not move. On the other hand, you can maintain the same DEPTH in the water, without being neutral at all, if the forces driving you downward are countered by forces driving you up. That is the typical new diver problem; by diving with the legs down, you have created a situation where each kick drives you up in the water column. The only way to maintain depth is to stay negative, which means that if you stop swimming, you sink. A lot of new divers find this situation rather comfortable, because they fear uncontrolled ascents. But it has several major drawbacks: it is inefficient, since some of your effort is spent in simply staying where you are. It obligates you to move constantly, which means you can stop to look at anything. And since the water coming off your fins is driven downward, it will kick up whatever sediments are below you, thus reducing the visibility for anyone behind you (or for you, if you come back the way you went out!).

Achieving a horizontal position in the water requires two things: Good posture, and balanced weighting. Posture is covered in the "lever" articles on Don Chennavasin's site, HERE. He also goes into moving weight around to balance. Another very good resource on buoyancy is the Buoyancy Master Class articles on Gareth Burrows' site, HERE. This is also the type of thing you'll spend a lot of time on in the GUE Primer class I recommended in another thread.

PADI's Peak Performance Buoyancy course helped me a whole lot. All the suggestions about moving stuff around, like tank, wts., etc. are good and that was in my course. I am the same regarding very negative legs. With my 7 mil farmer john wetsuit I can stay horizontal. When I used only the top of the wetsuit my fins would be on the bottom. Do you have heavy negative fins like mine? You may consider different fins. To solve my "bottomless" wetsuit problem I put small buoys around my ankles (6"-like the ones boats use as buffers against docks). It's makeshift, but keeps me horizontal when the water is warm enough to go without the "pants". I've been told there aren't any specific ankle float devices for diving, though there are ankle weights. When you get it all figured out you will find that you are hovering motionless without even trying when stopping to look at something.

I have the same issue, legs with no fat on them, which have a tendency to sink. I sifted some lead up as high as I could get it towards my shoulders which helped out a lot.

I have the same issue, legs with no fat on them, which have a tendency to sink. I sifted some lead up as high as I could get it towards my shoulders which helped out a lot.

I do that as well regardless of exposure suit.

Back
Top Bottom