Buoyancy problem with drysuit when entering shallower water - solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
title says it all. I'm new in drysuit diving, I've done ~5 dives with a drysuit so far, and pretty much have it all handled except for one thing - buoyancy in shallower water. In depths deeper than 25-30ft, I have no problems at all whatsoever.

When I swim back to shore, I kept having buoyancy problems when I am in about 15-20 feet or less of water, even once to the point that my legs were above my head. I keep the exhaust valve open when ascending (it's actually open 99% of the time anyways). This happens when I have appx 1,400 PSI in the tank, so the "empty tank syndrome" isn't a factor. I got out of the problem by doing a spin of 360 in front of me, but struggled to stay horizonal, I kept getting the feeling that my legs are rising...

My undergarmet is simple - fleece pants, and fleece pullover longsleeves from Cabela's (hunting garmets, but good enough for me, was fine in 50 deg temp). I just bought a 1 piece softfleece underwear, and it should come in either tomorrow or tuesday - if it fits, it's what I am going to wear instead of the hunting clothes I have now.

What should I do to allay this problem? should I get gaiters or should I get ankle weights? or - is it just a newbie thing and I just need to practice?

Just a newbie thing and I just need to practice practice practice :wink:

Have you tried pumping your left arm, to help it dump?
Overall experience?
Weight? Drysuit can take a fair chunk more than wet. I'm 12lb in a 5mm wet, but 22 in my dry.
I did use ankle weights first handful of dives, they were useful until I developed better control of DS inflation/dump, but was really glad to get rid of them as soon as that control got better.
Suit type? I went compressed neoprene, which keeps the floaty-legs bit down somewhat (neoprene is much more form-fitting).

Yes, did the left arm technique & weights were increased too (compared with a wetsuit)

my drysuit's a older DUI CF200 - crushed neoprene. I bought it used, but fits me very well.

I keep the exhaust valve open when ascending (it's actually open 99% of the time anyways).

- the valve may be open, but you're not getting the air in the suit to it. Do you wear a wet belt, or use integrated? A weight belt can restrict (not block) air flow from lower to upper, especially if your swimming horizontally like we should be.

I'd suggest ankle weights for a short-term solution. if you can't get along without them, then gators on your lower legs might help.

One last thing - there are differeing opinions about using the BC or drysuit for buoyancy control. Without opening that can of worms too far, maybe you could try putting just the minimum amount of gas in the suit for warmth, and use the BC for buoyancy (if you aren't already)

But overall, I agree with "practice, practice, practice"

I still have the same problem - one thing I'm trying to remember is when ascending I first rather dump air from the suit and then from the wing. And I raise the arm rather high to make sure the air goes out - as the major problem is simple - we both have too much air in the dry suit. I also have been told that this is a matter of practice...
Mania

One thing that helped me was switching to just using the DS for anti-squeeze, switching back to my BCD for buoyancy. If you were taught to use your DS for buoyancy, you're dealing with that much more air in the suit expanding.

markfm:
One thing that helped me was switching to just using the DS for anti-squeeze, switching back to my BCD for buoyancy. If you were taught to use your DS for buoyancy, you're dealing with that much more air in the suit expanding.

BC use for boyancy is partly needed only when having a neoprene DS!

I've found boyancy control with DS much easier than BC. Exhaust valve open and just a bit lowering your legs and turning right side down should dump all the extra air out. With a litlle exercise you know how much to adjust your swimming position to get the rate of ascending you want to.

ah, didn't think of the "turning right side down" - i'll keep that in mind on the next dive, thanks.

to answer previous questions, I dive a zeagle ranger - weight integrated, don't wear a belt. I am using my BCD for buoyancy instead of the drysuit.

IMO your buoyancy compensator should be used to compensate for buoyancy, but your drysuit should be used as a suit to keep you dry :wink:

Keep diving, you'll get used to it. BTW, if your trim is good, your feet will be above your head anyway :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom