Burned out, need some job idea's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If there's one thing I can say about SB, it's that I haven't been steered wrong yet.

So I thought I would toss this thread out here, and see what comes...

Some background -

28 years old, married no children
I got hired out of my 2nd semester of college to work in the IT industry. For the last 10 years I've been working as a "Systems Administrator" doing everything that's hi-tech. Voice over IP phone systems, VPN's, Firewalls, networking, the list go's on.

I'm burning out :(

Lately I started to give some serious thought to getting back in shape, and perhaps pursuing a career in law enforcement. My Dad's a cop, and my younger brother recently graduated the police academy and started his first couple of weeks "on the job".

The biggest drawback to going down that road, is the money... Looking at the job listings I currently make pretty close to double the starting salary's of most police officers :(

I actually feel a little guilty about that to be perfectly honest.

Anyway, I was hoping that someone out there would have a career idea that I perhaps haven't thought of, or don't know about.

I've been trying to get back to school and finish a 4 year degree, but I've only got about 64 credit hours completed so far. I'm hoping to get into one of those "over the internet" programs offered by the state colleges.

So anyone have any idea's ?

PS, yes I got hired at 18

The only thing I would say is, doing what you love is more valuable than any income amount. About 7 years ago, I took a $150,000.00 a year pay cut to do what I love, and I've never looked back. It was the best thing I ever did. I've never been happier. I absolutely love my life now.

Pursue what you love and let the money take care of itself. Then you will truly be prosperous!

How'd you do that? I'm not sure I'd have the grande's to do that...

Did you know for sure, that your doing what you love? I mean, how did you figure out what you love?

Especially before you have children, now is the time.

You might not have that freedom forever. I'd say, save money, finish school, look at the FBI or something computer related in law enforcement.

rottielover:
I mean, how did you figure out what you love?
When I was seven, I knew I wanted to be a musician. It was all I dreamed of doing. I went to music school in L.A. and played professionally for 8 years.

The money was ridiculously up and down, so at age 25, I gave it up to pursue a more "mature" and "responsible" career with which to support my family. I started with no education and no experience and spent the next 16 years working my way up the business ladder. I did well, but I never enjoyed a day of the work.

Just as I was really hitting my stride, an offer came along to run a large music department, and start up a video production department at a church. My wife offered to go back to work so I could take the job. She worked our budget so that if we cut out every non-necessary in our lives, we could do it. My kids were raised and living on their own.

So, I took the job. :D

catherine96821:
Especially before you have children, now is the time.

You might not have that freedom forever. I'd say, save money, finish school, look at the FBI or something computer related in law enforcement.
This sounds like excellent advice, especially the part about doing it before you have kids.

Yes, thank you for the responses. I agree, excellent advice...

So does anyone know any job's or career's along these lines?

For example: "something computer related in law enforcement" does anyone know what some of those might be?

I've been thinking that maybe what I need to do (short term), is to sign up to do some "ride alongs" with the local PD. Maybe if I talk to some more officers I'll get a better idea.

As a retired police detective I can tell you it was a great career. Never made the big bucks as you civilian experts can, but a comfortable living can be made.

Law enforcement is a special field as only one in about 530 persons are capable of doing for a long period of time. It is demanding physically, mentally, and psychologically. Average life expectancy is 55 Year of age. Often two years after retirement the body gives out. There are two types generally found: bullies with badges and professional problem solvers. Both are A type personalities and have their uses in particular areas.

Like Our current government you'll find politics is everywhere and always attacking you at every point so the ability to care about people who don't care about you will weigh heavy. The worst street cops are often promoted to positions of power due to political aspirations thus creating strife both internal and external. After the first few years you will notice that you are often held to legal standards that were not in effect at the time you made your decision. At times it will seem that there is not one person backing you during tough times. Not true but all officers will feel it.

You will lose all your current friends. Not because of the changes in you, there will be many by the way, but because your a cop, period. Nobody likes to be around a cop because they are always subconsciously wondering if they say or do something what you will do, thus they feel like they have to watch their step around you and find it more comfortable just to be unavailable, that is until it does something for them and then they are your best friend since birth......:D Even cops hate have a cop behind them on the road so you can't really blame them.

Your friends and family will always want to hear the stories and to know what is going on, but they want you to leave out all the ugly details as it is too much to deal with. Most of the time you can not talk about the aspects that create difficulties, with your loved ones, as the details are are not adjudicated and you are prevented from discussing it by law. They love pictures but don't want to live it. You will miss several family events due to work schedules.

I have yet to find a career that offers the same freedoms, pleasures, and pains. You will find over all that if it is in you it is one hell of a ride.

If you still have a way to enjoy the IT field then look at the Federal side. FBI, IRS, Department of Homeland Security, Marshall's Service, or City and State Departments with over 1 million as they will have investigation units in that field. Federal pay and benefits are greater than City or State agencies.

Go to the Federal Job board. All job postings are listed there.

Years ago, a travel show did a segment on 4 guys (Americans) that left their daily grind behind and moved to Tahiti...I don't know which island. The story indicated they never married, had lots of children by several different women there and appeared to have no jobs. They had lived there 20 or so years when the cameras caught up to them.

At the end of the show they asked one of the men if he had any regrets...he looked away for a long period of time...sighed and said..."Yes, I wish I would have done it sooner".

They seemed to be completely content without the materialistic baggage (or spouses) and had no regrets...who of us can say that? Of course, I think their story would have been different had they set out for the northwest territory in Canada.

In any case, its good work if you can find it!!!:wink:

Hallmac - Thank you for your post, I really appricate your time it took to write that up.

Jon_C - I think we all wish we could do something like that :wink: lol

I think for now I'm going to take some vacation time I have coming, maybe that will "re-energize" me a bit so that I don't feel so burned out and used up. It would also give me the time to review my options both career wise and what options I have college wise.

THanks again all!

Back
Top Bottom