Burns and diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sactomags

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband had an accident in his class (chef-in-training) and he burned his hand -- across the "base" area of the fingers, as well as up the index finger and the next two fingers as well. The burn across the base and the index finger are the worst burns as the skin has stretched taut in those areas.

He spoke to his doctor about diving -- a GP -- who said he doesn't think there should be any problems. He gave my husband some ointment and also a tetanus shot, and he goes back for a follow up next week.

We're off on a diving trip (to Saba) in just over two weeks. I wonder if someone who has a medical background and experience diving also takes the same view? Can diving have any negative impact on the healing of these burns? A few of them are close to 3rd degree, so I want to make sure we don't complicate anything.

Thanks,
Margaret

I know this may not of much use to you, sactomags, but during world war II many pilots suffered horrific burns when they were shot down.

Those who landed in the sea had a far better recovery with their burns than those who parachuted or crashed on land. The guinnea-pig club consists of those who were treated for such burns by a Britsh surgeon who was the pioneer of plastic surgery.

I am afraid I cannot remember his name, which is an awful admission for me to make.

I appreciate the information and it does make sense. We'll see what our physician has to say on the follow-up appointment next week as well, but I always like to find out as much as I can.

Regards,
Margaret

Howdy sactomags:

Burn wounds are difficult to assess in person and virtually impossible to evaluate via an Internet message board. Hand burns are particularly concerning because of the risk of functional impairment. Comments like "the skin has stretched taut" and "a few of them are close to 3rd degree" are worrisome.

Superficial burns will frequently heal within 2 weeks and not interfere with diving once healed. Deeper burns which do not heal spontaneously in 2-3 weeks frequently require grafting to minimize scarring- a particularly important point on the hand.

While Air Force pilots are sometimes forced to escape from burning planes in the ocean, I would not recommend diving with an open burn wound that has not healed in 2 weeks.

Now if I had a burn wound on my hand where the skin was stretched taut and some areas were close to 3rd degree and I had a dive trip planned in 2 weeks, I'd be making an appointment at the nearest burn clinic- especially if I lived in Sacramento and had the UC Davis Burn Center down the street. They would likely just give me a tetanus shot and some ointment, but I'd go there anyway.

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

BillP once bubbled...
Howdy sactomags:

Burn wounds . . . virtually impossible to evaluate via an Internet message board. . . . Now if I had a burn . . .I'd be making an appointment at the nearest burn clinic. . . .
Couldn't agree more, Bill. I re-read my post and it does give the impression that I was implying this was not necessary. I am sure sactomags is sensible enough to realise that "All the above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

In fact most of those pilots (and sailors) suffered some horrific injuries and those few that did were very lucky to survive. Their scars were very disfiguring and you are quite right to emphasise the possibility of permanent functional impairment from eschar contractions.

The internet is no substitute for qualified medical advice by a doctor to his own patients, with the essential full history and examination. This is, of course, why Lady diver has put her "please read first" post at the head of this forum.

Sorry if I overstepped professional boundaries here. It was not intentional.

Safe diving. :approve:

But it also helped to inform me of what to do, what to look for, what questions to ask.

Thanks for the additional information about UC burn center. I am just one instance where locals forget the resources right in their own back yard. Thanks for the reminder.

Again, I appreciate the information as it gives me more resources and ideas.

Of course, it is my husband who has the burn, not me. He's the one who's got to take it further or not. With the information provided, we'll see where we go.

Thanks again,
Margaret

Back
Top Bottom