Business trip in Aug to Sydney and want to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

banjoman1948

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Australia!
I've been tapped for a business trip to Sydney for at least a week in August and would like to know if anyone can recommend a dive excursion or two during my free time.
Thanks,
Bill

I don't think Sydney is known for its diving, but if you have gone that far already you might want to "nip up the coast" (only a few hundred miles) to do some barrier reef diving. I haven't done it for over 20 years, but let's just say that afterwards I decided that its not just Texas that everything is bigger in - never in my life have I seen another Moray eel so large.

Hi Bill,

Here's a recent thread with some info on diving around Sydney. There may be some more older threads with more info as well.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/australia/233826-coming-sydney.html

Check out the 'Weekly Diving Reports't where the locals give dive reports.

I'm sure the locals will be on soon with more info. I was in Ausralia earlier this year and spent 2 weeks diving on the GBR. Then a weekend in Forster/Seal Rocks in NSW north of Newcastle. Great dives with LOADS of grey nurse sharks. But a bit of a journey from Sydney

I would have loved to dive in Sydney but ran out of time. From people I've met as well as the many posts on the board, there are clearly a number of great dive ops in the Sydney area. With my friends in Sydney, I always go to Balmoral on the weekends for breakfast. Frog Dive has dives from the beach there. I spoke to a couple of the divers who were really friendly. I think AlmityWife's hubby is an instructor for them.

I was on a liveaboard with lots of people from Dive Bondi. So short answer is there are lots of opportunities, you just need to pick a place and time and get some help sorting the logistics!

Have a fab time in Sydney! I'm jealous! Trying to figure out how I can get a work-related trip there in the next few months!

I don't think Sydney is known for its diving, but if you have gone that far already you might want to "nip up the coast" (only a few hundred miles) to do some barrier reef diving. I haven't done it for over 20 years, but let's just say that afterwards I decided that its not just Texas that everything is bigger in - never in my life have I seen another Moray eel so large.

Quite a bit of good diving in Sydney & surrounding area. The "nip up the coast" would be more like 1000-2000 miles depending on what part of the reef you want to dive.

Thanks, guys/gals, for the good info. Can't wait to get down there and see the underwater sites.
Bill

Don't bother with Forster right now, water is cold, and no Sharks (they have moved further North)

However, you should still be able to get some good dives in around the eastern Suburbs, and Perhaps Southern Suburbs. I'm surprised Mrs A has not chimed in yet - I've become a spoiilt tropical water wimp, so don't much dive in Sydney winter anymore, but there is still cool stuff to see.

Z...

I don't think Sydney is known for its diving......
:no where is my slap-down smilie!!!

sydney has dozens of dive sites avaible plus most of them are shore dives so it doesnt have to be as expensive as boat dives but the trick is to make a list of things you want to see and dive those sites

eg:
grey nurse shark = boat dive/magic point at marubra (shiprock dive or scubaroos or prodive does this site)
weedy sea dragons = kurnell shore dive
seahorses = manly or balmoral nets
angler fish, pipefish/muck dive = clifton gardens shore dive
a bit of everything = bare island shore dive

and these are just a couple of our dive sites

then you can go 2hrs north to nelson bay or south to shellharbour for excellent diving also

my recommendation is Kurnell for the weedy sea dragons - reason is you wont find them anywhere else in the world but here in australia. Abyss Scuba should be able to help you out with this

you do get the weedies at Bare Island also but kurnell is more a guarantee

cheers

Hi Australia!
I'm staying in Adelaide at the moment and plan to finish the business part of my trip on Tuesday, Aug 26. I'd like to spend a day in Sydney and then fly up to Carins for some liveaboard diving on Thursday.

I'm interested in hooking up with Deep Sea Divers Den (Deep Sea Scuba Diving Australia, Cairns Liveaboard Trips Queensland, Packages & Holidays, Cruises & Day Trips, Holiday Tours) for a 4 day/3 night excursion. Their daily departures will fit in with my travel dates.

Does anybody have any experience with them of know of someone who does?
Thanks,
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom