Business Week Online -Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

has one major error. co-founder is Robert Carmichael, not Michael Carmichel. Sent them email.

WW

"while Halcyon might have sacrificed sales to consumers concerned about comfort "

-Business Week Online

My point exactly. All I have to do is say a BP's are not comfortable, and everyone flips out. I guess there is more than one definition of comfort, DIR and everyone else's.

"Halcyon's policy of casting a narrow focus on the purist market appears to be paying off, with sales up some 40% in 2002. "

-Business Week Online

You guys are purists, like it or not.

In all fairness, Halcyon is a great business concept and builds high quality products, but having the head of GUE in charge of a company that makes gear to DIR specs, is an obvious conflict of interest. Somewhere else I heard that the owner of 5th D, is a high muckety-muck in GUE. The temptation to spec something that no one else does, and then put it into production, must be great.

AS for JJ, I wish I was as smart as he is, that company is worth a bunch now.

leadweight once bubbled...
"while Halcyon might have sacrificed sales to consumers concerned about comfort "

-Business Week Online

My point exactly. All I have to do is say a BP's are not comfortable, and everyone flips out. I guess there is more than one definition of comfort, DIR and everyone else's.

I find my backplate very comfortable. In fact, I find it more comfortable than any other BC I have ever worn (and that includes DiveRite).

[B........

In all fairness, Halcyon is a great business concept and builds high quality products, but having the head of GUE in charge of a company that makes gear to DIR specs, is an obvious conflict of interest. Somewhere else I heard that the owner of 5th D, is a high muckety-muck in GUE. The temptation to spec something that no one else does, and then put it into production, must be great.

AS for JJ, I wish I was as smart as he is, that company is worth a bunch now. [/B]

Do you worry about aliens coming to land in your backyard also?:)

boomx5 once bubbled...
I find my backplate very comfortable.

So do I. I can see where it might not be the greatest if one were diving naked but I don't dive naked.

WW

leadweight once blathered...

-Business Week Online

Glad to find out that when considering equipment, you turn turn to the reliable SCUBA-savvy source, Buisness Week.

Gawd, you folks get so desperate to trying to attack the equipment, it's laughable. If you don't like it, don't dive it. We don't give a hoot.

As for the purist comment, you can laugh all the way to... well not the bank, that's where JJ's going, not you.

Roak

I find my BP (not Halcyon) very comfprtable.

I find Business Week and very poor web site with all those adverts it took at least 2 minutes to load that article - on a high speed link...

My point exactly. All I have to do is say a BP's are not comfortable, and everyone flips out.

Then for godsakes don't ask them what they do for pocket space.

In all fairness, Halcyon is a great business concept and builds high quality products, but having the head of GUE in charge of a company that makes gear to DIR specs, is an obvious conflict of interest.

Not really. The bottom line is, JJ and his crew asked other suppliers to create and market the gear that they wanted, and no one would. So they created their own. Also, I can't think of a single piece of DIR gear that's proprietary to Halcyon (I may be wrong, but there aren't many). George Irvine uses little or no Halcyon equipment.

Somewhere else I heard that the owner of 5th D, is a high muckety-muck in GUE. The temptation to spec something that no one else does, and then put it into production, must be great.

Andrew Georgitsis, who owns 5th D, is a GUE instructor and team diver of some note. I'm unaware of any other position he holds with GUE, financial or managerial. He already markets a store brand drysuit, which gets good reviews, but I don't know if it's DIR compatable or not.

Back
Top Bottom