"butterfly" snaps have a use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone ever use the "butterfly" snaps for cave diving. I am trying to prepare for my class march 4th and was browsing over snaps at reefscuba.com as it is required to have all the normal ones (on your long hose and backup lights or whatever) plus the list calls for 2 more snaps and since it isn't specific I was gonna bring 2 double enders and 2 medium but those butterfly ones look pretty nice although rather large. whats everybody think. Thanks

Does anyone ever use the "butterfly" snaps for cave diving. I am trying to prepare for my class march 4th and was browsing over snaps at reefscuba.com as it is required to have all the normal ones (on your long hose and backup lights or whatever) plus the list calls for 2 more snaps and since it isn't specific I was gonna bring 2 double enders and 2 medium but those butterfly ones look pretty nice although rather large. whats everybody think. Thanks

I like them on Stage bottles, as it makes it much easier to take on and off. Specially if you have bigger hands.

I use the suicide clips on my sidemount bottle straps but not anywhere else.

I second stage/deco bottles. Great for that but I doubt much else. Enjoy your class.

I used to use them a lot before I moved to stainless. They work great,but probably a little too much for your long hose. Be careful of double enders they have a peculiar way of working loose,because I average finding 3 spools a year. One of these days the back mount world will discover snoopy loops,and some bolt snaps will disappear.

I thought I was the only one to crawl into dumpsters to secure raw materials for dive gear!

I always thought it was very funny that people would BUY bungi's to put around their tanks when truck inner tubes work better. I use the same inner tube rubber to make back-up mask straps, fins straps (requires two pieces for double thickness), snorkel holder, light switch retainer bands (to prevent accidental activation of the on switch, weight belts, elastic bands for a knife sheath, necklace material for the safe second stage, rubber to secure my lift bags and SMB's into a bundle, elastic to hold my BC inflator hose down and prevent it from floating too high, elastic to hold my light against the shoulder strap of my harness, elastic to hold emergency explosive power tips to the base of my speargun. etc.

I still don't know what a butterfly clip is?

It's the one on the end under "butterfly snap".

Stainless Steel Snaps

It is basically a bolt snap with lips to funnel the line into the gate. There lies the controversy as they have a bit more line trapping potential than a normal bolt snap, but not as much as a marine snap (suicide clip).

I like to use them in cold water on the lower snap for the deco and stage bottles as it does make it a bit easier to attach the lower clip in heavy gloves. But...I would not use them if they do not fill a specific need on the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom