DGX equivalent in Canada????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GF99/99

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. I live in Indonesia part time so obviously I get all my gear from the US or EU when I am there but have not been back in a while and im due for a re-stock so luckily I have a friend that is visiting home in Canada for a little bit and he can bring me back dive gear. I am not familiar with any of the Canadian online retail shops and was wondering if there is a good one that sells lots of smaller technical diving accessories like DGX and piranha mfg that you normally cannot find in the big major online retailers.

Looking for:
Omniswivel fittings
LP swivel elbows/banjo fittings
Steramine/virkon
Bungee by the ft.
Reasonably priced Cookies, REM’s, arrows
Large rolls of cave line (as is just line)
Non standard/odd lengths of LPI and LP hose; 4", 6", 10", 14"
6” HP hoses
Bolt snaps
Double enders

Also yes I know DGX will DHL to Canada but I have tried this be for and got screw big time with import tax. It was crazy. I had a big order with lots of bolt snaps, hoses, spgs, LP and HP fittings, cave line, etc. and it ended up being like a $150 COD bill. So NO I am not going to ship from US to Canada again. So I am looking for some help/recommendations for goods specialty online shops if there are any in Canada. Would be no if I could get it all from one place to save on shipping.

There isn’t one. Pre covid i would just have it shipped to the border and pick it up. I just pay the dhl. It’s still cheaper than Canadian dive shop retail and dgx has stock.

There isn’t one. Pre covid i would just have it shipped to the border and pick it up. I just pay the dhl. It’s still cheaper than Canadian dive shop retail and dgx has stock.

Even DGX is low on some items due to the supply chain issues. Certain hose sizes for example. Pretty crazy. At least with DGX you KNOW if they have it in stock or not.

You're not paying import tax, you're paying GST and PST or HST, depending on which province you're in. You'll pay those same taxes if you buy from an online or brick and mortar shop in Canada. Any other import charges are the carrier's fees to clear customs. Some charge more than others.

You're not paying import tax, you're paying GST and PST or HST, depending on which province you're in. You'll pay those same taxes if you buy from an online or brick and mortar shop in Canada. Any other import charges are the carrier's fees to clear customs. Some charge more than others.
Postal service (USPS from the states) is almost always the best way to minimize (to zero, as far as I know) broker fees. Small stuff often just goes through without getting taxed in my experience, although obviously you shouldn't rely on that. I guess there might be some items that (potentially) get hit with actual duty, this should be well defined though. I can't argue with the fact that ordering cross border adds uncertainty to the process though.

I recently sold an LX20 light to a SB member in Canada. $250 value and marked it as a gift on the customs docs. He paid nothing. He also told me he often orders from Randy at Piranha and always has good luck with USPS packages.

Hi all, thanks for the responses.

Ok well DGX I had bad luck with but they used DHL but thank you for the heads up about Randy because some of the LP and hoses that I need he is about the only person in the US that sells the odd ball sizes I need. I have always had the get them in the EU. Might give it another try. Or might send a DGX order to family in the US and have them re-package and USPS it all to Canada as gift and try that route

Probably the closest thing we have in Canada to DGX would be Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catherines Ontario. You can contact them and they will probably be able to get/find anything you need if they don't have it in stock.

Probably the closest thing we have in Canada to DGX would be Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catherines Ontario. You can contact them and they will probably be able to get/find anything you need if they don't have it in stock.
The SB Canadian member who bought the LX20 from me wanted some extra O rings. $4 for two from DGX. Shipping was crazy. He contacted Dan’s Dive Shop who was selling them for $2. So half price and gets them from within Canada. Dan’s said DGX had a crazy markup on them. No kidding!

Back
Top Bottom