Buttons sticking HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

60sdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi I have a canon SD940 in a canon housing. It works fine down to 50 ft.(16m). Below 50 ft. the buttons will not work--they don't pop back out. When I get above 50 ft. the camera functions again. Any suggestions??? Thanks Bruce

Hi How do I get rid of salt crystals??? Brube

I'd soak it BUTTONS down for a couple days in a sink of fresh water....push the buttons while soaking under water every so often.....

EDIT, was off a hundred & eighty degrees-----lol......ie leave it soaking where all the buttons are under water.....& push the buttons while submerged UW....

Last edited:
Hi I assume that the housing is closed and sealed when soaking. Can I use boiling water or will it damage o-ring and housing. Thanks Bruce

You should soak the housing with fresh water after every dive. While the housing is still closed with the camera inside submerge it in fresh water, push several times all the buttons to allow salt water get out the mechanisms.
Fresh water should be at ambient temperature or slightly warm. Not hot water.
There is a page
Matt Gieselman | Fixing sticky buttons on underwater camera housings
where there is a description of how to remove and clean the push buttons of Canon OEM housings.

Also, there are some other recomendations in this thread :

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/317514-canon-housing-button-sticks.html

Canon housings are a bit notorious for weak springs and if there are any deposits on the button shafts it certainly aggravates the problem. While on a dive trip of course you would soak in fresh water, work the buttons etc. with the housing is closed. At home though I'll open the housing and leave the entire back (and just the back!) soaking underwater overnight or longer. Of course don't get water inside the rest of the housing and definitely dry things well (like leaving it open in air for several days) before closing it up.

Watch what you use for silicone. I was told a food grade silicone works fine and I found a spray can of it at a restaurant supply place. I spray a bit in the cap and dunk a toothpick in that. (I was tempted to use O-ring silicone grease but got told it's a "sand magnet".) You want to apply the silicone to the shaft itself and I try to do this from both sides of the housing back as I work the buttons. It's not that easy to get at some of the shafts but by being careful you can get the silicone where it needs to be without slopping it around the rest of the interior.

On those rare occasions where it I still might get a stuck button I can usually work a fingernail in behind the button while uw and pull up it up if need be. Then I just convince myself that all the really good shots are at less than 50' ! :eyebrow: // ww

As previously mentioned sticking buttons on Canon housings is not unusual. I have encountered it on my G10 housing. I also experienced it on my old Olympus PT-010 housing

I in both cases I have successfully used pure liquid silicone which can be purchased at most dive shops. The Trident brand is a liquid pump type. Any brand will do as long as it is pure food grade.

I place one drop on the housing exterior plunger control (when it is dry) with an eyedropper or toothpick, as mentioned above, and work the silicone in by pushing the plunger several times. You will feel the difference right away.

When traveling I carry a very tiny bottle of silicone with me. The bottle is about the size of an eye re-wetting drops one. You can either buy one at the store and empty it or ask a pharmacy for a small one used for various prescriptions.

trident_silicone.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom