Buttons sticking HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usually the sticking is caused by a buildup of salt crystals on the metal shaft. I have had no luck with soaking in water. I tried weak acid - vinegar. It worked much better. Obviously this is with the case sealed and no camera. In stubborn cases I disassembled the stuck button. Be very careful when doing this not to lose the spring or any hardware. I clean the Oring with a lint free cloth, not a Qtip which will leave fibers on it. I soak the shaft in vinegar for as long as needed. I then lightly lubricate the shaft with silicone grease and reassemble.

This solves the problem. In rare cases when I lose a spring or E-Clip, any other housing by the same maker typically uses similar hardware so I cannibalize it. I have done this with several Canon and Ikelite housings, and solved the problem.

Hmmm ... I wonder what a few minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner might do ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I wouldn't try that one. Depending on the power in the tank (and the position in the tank) you could easily "cook" the plastic in places, much like a microwave does. *I used to melt our competitors pens at tradeshows to show how much power we could put through ours. Cavitation erosion is another issue.

Vinegar will destroy Buna N O-rings. Simple Green, lol, go right ahead, I think I will pass on that.
I have been using SG for about a year now without issue and I got the tip from a couple of instructors who have used it for years without any problems as well.
Isn't Simple Green made out of people? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom