Buy a weight belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have purchased all of my equipment except my weight belt. I was wondering if that is something that I really needed to buy? Do they come with a tank rental at most places or do I need to buy one?:wink:

below_sea_level once bubbled...
I have purchased all of my equipment except my weight belt. I was wondering if that is something that I really needed to buy? Do they come with a tank rental at most places or do I need to buy one?:wink:

If you did dive locally (within driving distance), it would be a good idea (both cost-wise and for convenience) to have weights of your own (either on a belt or loose if your BC is weight integrated).

If you will be flying to your diving destinations, you won't want to travel with the weights, so renting (or if supplied, using) the dive shop or boat operator's weights would make more sense. When traveling, it's a good idea to check with the operator first to see what they make available and what they expect you to have.

If you do decide to buy one, I would suggest a metal buckle with more than 3 teeth. Plastic ones are available but IMHO aren't as good. (I've seen a few plastic ones come undone).

While belts are usually supplied when travelling, taking your own metal buckle is a good idea.

Just a suggestion. :)

Diverlady

My suggestion would be to buy one of the zippered canvas "pocket" weight belts but don't buy any weights for it unless you'll be diving locally. These belts are super lightweight and travel really well, they are easy to put weights in an take weights out and at the same time you'll have a belt that fits you correctly. And I agree with DiverLady -- get a metal buckle for it.

XS Scuba makes a really neat belt (XS SCUBA CORDURA WEIGHT BELT) with 4, 6, or 8 pockets any of which can hold from 0 to 5 pounds (either hard or soft, but I would think soft would be more comfortable). I bought mine locally, but you can see a picture and description here (2nd and 8th items) at an online dealer I found.

I'm pretty sure it has a plastic buckle, so if you go this way, you might want follow DiverLady's advice and get a metal buckle as well.

Here in the NE, weights would be included with a full gear rental, but not with tanks or with a boat charter.

I would suggest bringing your your own belt when traveling (without the weight of course). Often a rental weight belt will be about 2 miles longer than you need it and that excess can get in the way. You could go with an el cheapo 2" webbing belt, which you would have to use hard weights with; or a pocket belt which could accomodate hard or soft weight.

Hope this helps.

For people renting equipment, I always suggest that they at least buy their own weight belt. IMO, it should be one of the first purchases they make. The reason I say this is because it's a royal PITA to have to put together a rental weight belt that's the right size and weight for you every time you go rent equipment. Plus, weight belts are cheap (relatively speaking), so why not?

If you've already purchased all of your equipment and plan on doing any local diving at all, why not buy your weightbelt too?

One thing to keep in mind about the pocket weight belts... if you are male and\or lack hips and are going to be wearing any kind of thick wet\drysuit. The pocket weight belts have a really strong tendancy to just slide right off of your body. Especially if you're really buoyant and need a lot of weight on your belt.

The XS 4-pocket can be had online for about $25. Since I dive warm water and only need 4 or 5 pounds it works well for me.

If I were diving colder water and a thick wetsuit I would definately go for the 6-pocket.

One of the BIG advantages of the XS belt is each pocket is velco sealed. So if you find yourself over/under weight you can have someone hand you a weight off the boat and make the addition without getting out of the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom