Buy E-M5 or wait for E-M5II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hezishohat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

I was just about ordering the E-M5 with its Nauticam housing
Today Olypmus announced the E-M5 MKII almost same price as the first one.
I'm going to use it mostly underwater (I use a Nikon D7100 for above)
So for underwater stills photos, Do you think that the MKII will be much better then the E-M5?
maybe the image stabilization for the fast focus tracking.
I just like to ear your opinion if to order now or to wait until the MKII will be on the market and also the Nauticam housing.

Thanks, Hezi

I don't think the MKII is a quantum leap over the original EM5. From what I've read, it's the same sensor.

With this new release, the price for the older camera (and housing?) will make it very, very attractive. I would spend my money on the new Pro lenses.

Hezi, You have several options regarding your choice. #1 is that the E-M5 is now a near three year old camera, not a bad thing but in digital years it would make more sense to me to be buying used or at a very deep discount to be able to recoup on your investment. #2 is that the E-M1 can now be found at the same price as the new E-M5 II if you do some looking around and you will have a system of the highest level for the same price as the E-M5 II all things being equal +/- a few dollars. #3 you already own a great camera in the Nikon D7100 and the Nauticam housing with the vacuum system is about as safe as it gets when it comes to the F word. #4 the biggest upside to the new E-M5 II for U/W shooting to me would be the improved IS in conjunction with the excellent new video features.

E-M5 Bundle

The E-M5 is available in an outstanding close-out package complete for $1495 right now. Use it for a while, and then buy a newer version of the E-M1 in a year or two. You'll still have a great backup camera and rig.

Oly-M5-Value-1a.jpg
Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Housing Bundle $1499

Thanks you Jack
but I'm not interested the Olympus housing at all

---------- Post added February 6th, 2015 at 04:27 PM ----------

Hi Phil,

#1 - looks like what I should do
#2 - the housing is 400$ more but if I will find the camera with a good deal I will go for it.
#3 - I wish... The housing for the 7100 is 3,300$
I have the Nikon 105 macro but all the other lenses that I have are not for scuba
17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8 etc. So I have to buy more expensive lenses like the 10-17, 10.5 + ports
This is far away
#4 - I will wait 1-2 month to see what people are writing on it compare the the old one and will see how the price is going down

Thanks a lot

If you want to go with the Nauticam housing, then I would buy an E-M1. There's little difference is the housing costs by the time you buy a tray and vacuum system, handle ball mounts etc, that come standard with the NA-EM1. The E-M1 body has been off/on instant rebate as well. For the small cost difference between the two camera bodies, you are getting a much newer and capable system to house at the same cost.

There is also going to be another E-M1 firmware update out soon V3.

Jack

hezishohat,

Regarding point #2 you need to be comparing apples to apples between the E-M5 and E-M1 Nauticam housings. The E-M1 housing comes with the half of the vacuum system ($220.00US) built in so the only thing that is an extra is the valve and pump also around $220.00US. Second the E-M1 housing comes with built in grips with supports and dual ball heads for mounting strobe arms. The E-M1 housing also comes with a very usable rear AEL/AFL control which allows easy use of rear focus and a number of other extra controls. None of these things are included with the E-M5 housing and all add-up to more than the $400.00US difference. To me the E-M1 housing is a real value compared to most of the housings in its size range. The housing is a bit larger than the E-M5 housing but by the time you add a tray and grips to the housing it is not a noticeable difference. I have owned and extensively used both housings and cameras and I can say that the E-M1 housing system is head and shoulders above the E-M5 system.

If you buy a new Nauticam housing for E-M5 II I am sure it will include the vacuum electronics.

Regarding Jack's comment the Olympus housing's are we'll made for the price point and the sale price is quite tempting. keep in mind that if you extend your lens line beyond the 12-50 and 60 macro you will need to invest in ports that will not transfer to a Nauticam housing if you make the move at a later time.

Hi Phil, thanks for your detailed response.
I will go for the Nauticam housing anyway
What you wrote is a big value for me.
when I asked the bluewater photo seller about the vaccum for the E-M5 he said that it will cost 220$ + 220$ for installation.
is that the same with the E-M1? just not to be surprised when I order it...

The system comes in two parts, the electronics which are built into the housing and the vacuum valve and pump. The E-M5 housing comes with built-in electronics that detect a leak as it is happening. You can upgrade the electronics to the vacuum system with a retrofit from your Nauticam authorized dealer. It appears that the cost for this may vary depending where you are in the world and who you are dealing with but the electronics run around $220.00. The values to pull the vacuum and the pump start at $220.00US and go up depending on your style of strobe attachment. If you use fiber optic cords the $220.00 valve works great. If you need a bulkhead attachment for wired strobes then the price goes up. E-M1 comes with the vacuum wiring so you have the $220.00 savings over the E-M5 housing and you still buy the appropriate valve and pump for each. It appears all of the new (like E-M5 MKII) mirrorless Nauticam housings will have the vacuum wiring going forward.

I did a review of the Nauticam vacuum system in a past issue of uwpmag.com if you care to learn more.

Back
Top Bottom