Buy Rebreathers??Submatrix or Inspiration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George-Greek

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to buy 2 semi-closed rebreathers.Specifically 1 Abyss Submatrix rebreather and 1 Inspiration rebreather.Does anyone knows where i can find an online shop for rebreathers?
How much do they cost approximately?
I will appreciate any replies.Thanks

George

George-Greek:
Hi guys,

I want to buy 2 semi-closed rebreathers.Specifically 1 Abyss Submatrix rebreather and 1 Inspiration rebreather.Does anyone knows where i can find an online shop for rebreathers?

George
This begs the question. Are you certified on these units? If not you need to get trained first. If you have a valid certification on the inspiration we can help you out. I am not familiar with the Abyss unit. Anyone who would sell a rebreather to someone uncertified for that unit (not just rebreathers in general) is doing a grave disservice to that individual and our industry, regardless of it being a direct person to person or on-line sale. Lack of training will kill you in the blink of an eye, so why risk it.

Roald

With the Inspiration plan on spending about $10,000 for the unit and training runs about $1200 for Mod1.

BTW, the Inspiration is a CCR not a SCR.

Dave

Which just emphasizes my point. Training on the specific unit you want is paramount. Of course then, he would know the difference between a CCR and SCR. Rebreathers are great devices and can make diving more fun and open new possiblities but they are not to be treated lightly. A life is too precious and cannot be regained once lost.

Roald

SharkeysVideo:
This begs the question. Are you certified on these units? If not you need to get trained first. If you have a valid certification on the inspiration we can help you out. I am not familiar with the Abyss unit. Anyone who would sell a rebreather to someone uncertified for that unit (not just rebreathers in general) is doing a grave disservice to that individual and our industry, regardless of it being a direct person to person or on-line sale. Lack of training will kill you in the blink of an eye, so why risk it.

Roald
Please, spare us the industry rhetoric. :no There are plenty of home builders out there who are diving rebreathers with little or no formal education and they're doing just fine.

Now then, on to the question:

George-Greek:
Hi guys,

George
George,

You mention the desire for two semi-closed rebreathers, and then in the next breath speak of the Inspiration. The Inspiration is NOT a semi-closed rebreather. It's fully closed. A new one from Silent Diving (the US distributor) will cost you $9,899 US plus the training. Like it or not, if you buy new, every manufacturer I know of will require you to take a formal course, which runs about $1,500 US. If you shop for a second hand unit, you might be able to dodge that. However, unless you've got some prior rebreather experience you probably don't want to.

I don't know much about the Submatix units. I do know that they make both a SCR and CCR. You should be able to find out some more here.

As for other general rebreather information--I would recommend that you spend some time on Rebreather World. You'll find lots of info and folks to answer your questions over there. You might also consider picking up a copy of Jeff Bozanic's Mastering Rebreathers. The title is something of an overstatement, but it's full of good information nonetheless.

Hope that helps.

Brian

A second hand inspiration (classic) will run you more or less about half the price of a new unit. But I wouldn't scrimp on the training, though. That is an absolute must.

Benthic:
Please, spare us the industry rhetoric. :no There are plenty of home builders out there who are diving rebreathers with little or no formal education and they're doing just fine.

Now then, on to the question:

George,

You mention the desire for two semi-closed rebreathers, and then in the next breath speak of the Inspiration. The Inspiration is NOT a semi-closed rebreather. It's fully closed. A new one from Silent Diving (the US distributor) will cost you $9,899 US plus the training. Like it or not, if you buy new, every manufacturer I know of will require you to take a formal course, which runs about $1,500 US. If you shop for a second hand unit, you might be able to dodge that. However, unless you've got some prior rebreather experience you probably don't want to.

I don't know much about the Submatix units. I do know that they make both a SCR and CCR. You should be able to find out some more here.

As for other general rebreather information--I would recommend that you spend some time on Rebreather World. You'll find lots of info and folks to answer your questions over there. You might also consider picking up a copy of Jeff Bozanic's Mastering Rebreathers. The title is something of an overstatement, but it's full of good information nonetheless.

Hope that helps.

Brian
Oh Puh-leese. First off neither the Inspiration or Submatix are "home builds" so the training issue is key to those manufacturers and to everyone who puts safety first and isn't driven by their egos or arrogance. Second, "home Builds" have a terrible safety record and there are many dead divers who bought your brand of BS. So they are not "doing just fine". If you want to build your own unit and risk your life that is your choice. But only a fool would sell an unqualified person a commercial unit on line or however. I'll bet for all your hatred of the "industry" you would be the first to sue when your mistakes come back to haunt you.

SharkeysVideo:
Second, "home Builds" have a terrible safety record and there are many dead divers who bought your brand of BS.
Care to elaborate? Why I don't share necessarily share Benthic's view on homebuilders and training, I'm not aware of "many dead divers" having used home made rebreathers. :confused:

SharkeysVideo:
Oh Puh-leese. First off neither the Inspiration or Submatix are "home builds" so the training issue is key to those manufacturers and to everyone who puts safety first and isn't driven by their egos or arrogance.
I never said that the Inspriation or Submatix were home builds. I simply said that there are lots of home builders out there who have successfully built, and are diving, their own rebreathers.

SharkeysVideo:
Second, "home Builds" have a terrible safety record and there are many dead divers who bought your brand of BS. So they are not "doing just fine". If you want to build your own unit and risk your life that is your choice. But only a fool would sell an unqualified person a commercial unit on line or however.
Do they now? Of course every rebreather that is commerically on the market today began life as a "home build." Obviously someone like APD, or Dive Rite invests a lot more in research, tooling, testing, etc than a guy working in his garage so their paths diverge very quickly, but they all began from the same place.

Jetsam (the makers of the KISS and Sport KISS rebreathers) is a fine example. The founder was building rebreathers in his garage, originally for himself and eventually for a small group of friends. Word began to spread, demand grew, and by 1999 the Jetsam company was born. For the first five years of their existance they sold rebreathers with no requirement for training whatsoever. All you needed was the cash. It wasn't until the introduction of the Sport KISS in 2004 that training became a requirement (due largely to the fact that the training agencies strong-armed Jetsam into this arrangement).

Here's the best part. To this day, NO ONE has died using a KISS rebreather. Including all those folks that bought them without training. Sounds like a pretty good safety record to me.

SharkeysVideo:
I'll bet for all your hatred of the "industry" you would be the first to sue when your mistakes come back to haunt you.
Actually I don't hate the industry. We all need them to offer new products, service for those products, training (yes, even training), and consumable items to keep us in the water. I simply want the industry to play fair. I can buy a car (or any of it's parts) without ever having to present a driver's license and it is far more likely to kill someone than all my dive gear put together. Just sell the gear, and leave me alone. All these requirements for where I get trained, who I get trained by, what I pay for equipment, where I get it serviced, etc, etc are getting really annoying. Offer to sell me the gear, the training, the gas fill, the boat rides, etc and let me choose which of those things I want and go my own way.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom