Buy Rebreathers??Submatrix or Inspiration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benthic:
For the first five years of their existance they sold rebreathers with no requirement for training whatsoever. All you needed was the cash.
I'm not 100% sure, but IIRC Jetsam did require CCR (on any unit) to by a KISS, at one point or another before there was a Kiss class and certification. Plenty of the early Kiss customers also had rebreather experience.

Benthic:
It wasn't until the introduction of the Sport KISS in 2004 that training became a requirement (due largely to the fact that the training agencies strong-armed Jetsam into this arrangement).

Brian

It was well before the introduction of the Sport that training was required.. AFAIK all the early KISS divers had some prior CCR experience.. I've looked trhough the KISS archives and a can't see any of the early people not having prior experience.

Even Kim and Gordon took CCR KISS training and was certified by Bruce Partridge.. Gordon had prior RB training as well.. Regardless on how well they knew the rig itself they both realized the benefit of doing formal training to fill in the gaps on procedures they might not be aware of..

caveseeker7:
Care to elaborate? Why I don't share necessarily share Benthic's view on homebuilders and training, I'm not aware of "many dead divers" having used home made rebreathers. :confused:

Beat me to it:wink:

A note on the distractions- George didn’t say he wasn’t going to get training and Brian didn’t say that the Inspiration or Submatix were home builds…..

Personally, I'd buy the uints before I took the training. I'm curious as to the choices George specified?? Why'd you choose those?
Rob

As to the comment on nobody dying diving a KISS, is that like saying MG Midgets are safer than Volvos because less people have been killed in car crashes driving MG Midgets?

Or exrtapolated; females are less likely to be injured playing in the National Football League compared to men?

No, not quite the same.

It would be like saying Royal Enfields are safer than Volvos because less people die on Enfields than in Volvos. Both are motor vehicles and will get you from A to B, but a motorcycle and a car are different.

The Kiss rebreathers are manually controlled, no control electronics to make you think even for a second the machine will do it for you. Kiss divers have a slightly different state of mind.

The original question was about where to buy them. The comment about SCR and Inspiration of course is not true, all Inpos are eCCR. If you want to buy a new Inspiration contact APD direct there is a long waiting list. If you want to buy 2nd hand try ebay, there are many 2nd hand Classic Inspos out there, as people switch to vision electronic version or the Evolution.

I don't know much about the Submatix apart from I like the look of them.

p.s. I only live 25 minutes from APD.

caveseeker7:
No, not quite the same.

It would be like saying Royal Enfields are safer than Volvos because less people die on Enfields than in Volvos. Both are motor vehicles and will get you from A to B, but a motorcycle and a car are different.

The Kiss rebreathers are manually controlled, no control electronics to make you think even for a second the machine will do it for you. Kiss divers have a slightly different state of mind.

Slightly off thread...I love Royal Enfields and like a KISS unit they require a bit of maintenance here and there. They're a classic design that runs & runs and is inexpensive as they come. Sadly, I failed in my attempt import one from Chennai, India.

As mentioned, KISS divers must have a slightly higher level of alertness as there is zero capacity for the unit to monitor itself. Hence, one of the multiple reasons why there is a zero fatalities to date. However, like any piece of dive gear it is only as good as the diver using it.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom