Buyin g a PLB in Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a couple available on Lazada if you search "personal locator beacon". I haven't researched the brands though and you'd need to find a suitable waterproof case. Never seen one for sale in any shops here (not that I've really been looking).

@Anna1990,

I've checked the listings on Lazada. Those PLBs ship from overseas which implies that they have overseas country codes. In order to avoid possible complications, I'm looking for PLBs with a Malaysian country code. PLBs sold by a retail outlet in Malaysia should have a Malaysian country code.

"Please note that if you purchase a beacon from a vendor in a country different from the one where your aircraft/vessel is flagged, or different from your country of residence, in order to successfully register the beacon you may need to have the “country code” that has been electronically encoded in the beacon reprogrammed to a new (your current) country code by an authorized service facility at an additional cost." from Beacon Ownership - International COSPAS-SARSAT

Many thanks.

In order to avoid possible complications, I'm looking for PLBs with a Malaysian country code.

Any PLB can be reprogrammed to any country code. The only real exception is Australia/NZ. My company sells and reprograms these if you can't find a local.:)

Yes. You are quite correct, and I am aware that they can be reprogrammed.

As PLBs have to be registered, I will have the distinct pleasure of dealing with a Malaysian government department of some sort. Artex suggests that it is the Marine Department (see ACR ARTEXRegistrations | ACR ARTEX) but IBRD suggests that it is the Department of Civil Aviation (see http://www.406registration.com/countriessupported.aspx).

Aside from ensuring that the country code is correct, a second benefit of finding a local supplier is that they should be able to point me in the right direction.

Yes. You are quite correct, and I am aware that they can be reprogrammed.

As PLBs have to be registered, I will have the distinct pleasure of dealing with a Malaysian government department of some sort. Artex suggests that it is the Marine Department (see ACR ARTEXRegistrations | ACR ARTEX) but IBRD suggests that it is the Department of Civil Aviation (see http://www.406registration.com/countriessupported.aspx).

Aside from ensuring that the country code is correct, a second benefit of finding a local supplier is that they should be able to point me in the right direction.

It's the Maritime Authority.

This is where you register, once you get it and have the Hex ID number

https://bim.mmea.gov.my/Welcome

Reactions: CWK
It looks like I was quite mistaken. A foreign supplier could well point me in the right direction.:clapping:

Are you able to message me quotes (inclusive of shipping to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) for PLBs with the Malaysian country code?

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom