Buyin g a PLB in Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always provide your registered PLB emergency contact with your planned up-to-date current travel itinerary; cell phone numbers of the resort and dive operations or liveaboard that you're using; and phone emergency contact numbers of the Malayasian Embassy or diplomatic mission to the particular foreign country that you are visiting if traveling internationally.

The mobile phone contacts for your dive operation or liveaboard are contingency back-up emergency communications, and the only way to relay critical GPS location coordinates to local dive-op search boats in case of delay or unavailability of national Search and Rescue assets.

Do update how it goes - I'm thinking of getting one myself.

OK.

You may like to think about the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS. It does not require registration as it does not send a distress signal up to the search and rescue satellite system. Instead, it sends your GPS position to all AIS equipped marine radios within some 30 miles upon activation. This should suffice for LOBs and most dive locations.

A PLB comes into its own when you are going someplace where you have little confidence that there are boats with AIS equipped marine radios in the vicinity. In such a scenario, there could be no one picking up the Nautilus MR GPS distress signal.

Custom Divers PLB canister arrived at the beginning of the week. I'm quite happy with the quality of the product.

PLB arrived in Malaysia at the end of last week. It's still stuck somewhere in customs awaiting delivery to Poslaju in PJ for my collection.

Dive Canister.JPG

Poslaju (Speedpost) was supposed to call when the PLB arrived from customs but they did not. I went to their office today and managed to collect the PLB. There was a small levy for customs duty.

Online request for registration of the PLB was relatively straight forward.
PLB.JPG

Back
Top Bottom