Buying a boat that I can dive from

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glock Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey SBer's-

Hoping to get some advice from boaters/divers out there. I'm looking to buy a used boat, in the 21'-23' range, that I can use for fishing, diving, or just hanging out. What recommendations would you offer?

A couple that I'm looking at in the $10,000-$11,000 range:
1998 22' Wellcraft 220 Coastal walkaround, 200hp outboard
1989 23' Mako 230 walkaround, 1998 225hp outboard

I'm not stuck on these two, definitely open to other options, but curious to hear your opinions. I need something that I can trailer and reasonably tow, to use either here in the gulf or take it to WPB/Lauderdale area for diving. Probably the Keys also. Would also prefer to have a cuddy cabin of some sort.

You might also want to take a look at the Sea Swirl Stripper model as well as the Bayliner Cierra and Trophy models.

Seems the Honda 4 stroke outboards are the thing to have, though a bit price!

Both boats are well known hulls. I believe the Mako will hold its value better and those older boats are super solid, but slightly heavy which is not always a bad thing. The biggest thing on purchasing a boat in my opinion is the motor and the mechanical soundness of the main components. I'll step aside of the great motor debate. Don't be afraid to tell the seller you want to do a thorough sea test and really put the boat through its paces. Get the motor checked out thoroughly, compression test, water pump condition, lower unit oil condition, steering, shifter & linkages, fuel system, electrical, bilge, ect..... Paying for or doing a good checkout can save big down the line.

1) Is the hull sound and does the motor run good?
2) Are the electronics and electrical system in good condition?
3) How does the boat perform and handle in rough seas and chop?
4) Is there ample deck space and storage? PFD storage and availability?
5) Is there a good ladder or platform for re-boarding or can something be added fairly easily?
6) How is the shade availability?
7) Is it comfortable and is it laid out for your intended use?
8) Is there room to work or good access to components for the times repairs are necessary?
9) Is there room for all those lobster and fish your gonna catch? =D

Walk-arounds can be nice for storage and stuff but take up a ton of available space, are usually too hot to be in, and are a great place to cause seasickness if your down there. If its shade your after my preference is a center console with a custom removable Bimini top over the bow in front of the T-top, or a big 4 post hard top. Happy hunting, the right boat is out there if you take your time and look for it or find one you can upgrade to suite your needs.

Interestingly enough, that Wellcraft is listed at 3800 lbs, and the Mako is listed as 2800 lbs. I would have thought it opposite, but that's what the NADA guide has listed, and I confirmed it through some Wellcraft materials.
Do you think a 1000 lb difference should make a bearing on my decision?

Do you think a 1000 lb difference should make a bearing on my decision?

I think you should expand you choice list a bit. Depending on the year of the Mako, it could be junk. They were bought out years ago by BPS and the quality went south once the bean counters got ahold of the company. A 1989 model may not be an 'old school' Mako. Also, Makos use alot of foam between stringers, fuel tanks etc. One of the first boats I ever owned was a late 70's 20 Mako and I had to replace the fuel tank, and had to use an ice cream scoop to shovel out all the water-soaked foam between the tank and stringers (which is why the tank rotted in the first place)

Wellcrafts are well, Wellcrafts. If you can get a good deal on one, they are an ok boat as far as quality, but wouldn't be my first choice.

If it were me searching in that size range, I would give the 23 Dusky FAC a very serious look. They are built like tanks, have a very large cockpit (I dove three large guys off mine no issues) and are not too expensive on the wallet. You do have to consider vehicle towing capacity though because they are 'heavy' built boats. But the cuddy had tons of storage, a single 225 will push it extremely well, and they have a nice ride. Also, everything is laid out super simple (wires, plumbing, etc) so you can troubleshoot and fix things that go wrong on a boat. I put alot of hours on that hull running back and forth to the Bahamas (110nm one way) and it never let me down.

Years ago I rafted up to a friend with a Wellcraft 25 Coastal, and my 23' Dusky was the same length and overall looked 'bigger' than the Wellcraft.

Expand your brand search a little as there are alot of cuddy's that would fit your needs. And always, have it gone over thoroughly with a surveyor you trust.

p.s. if you buy a Bayliner, your Florida Man-Card WILL be revoked! :D

We dive often from our own boat and have since 1985 - if you see the name I post under, you can guess the boat brand - hint - I don't live in Jupiter and I'm not 31 (I wish....). :shakehead:

I could write a lot about this subject, b/c we went through a ton of trial and error - since 1985 I've had a Contender 25, a Hydrasports 25 (POS Worst boat I ever owned - expensive too), Contender 31, and the present Jupiter 31 - I'd still have the Contender but it was stolen in the Bahamas 3 years ago - long story, and yes, it was chained/locked up.

Here are just a few things to keep in mind:

Now is a GREAT time to buy a boat - not so much to sell one

You have many choices; while neither boat mentioned is "bad" you are in the best maket I can remember to purchase - basically, expand your horizons some! Plus, you live in FL - lots of boats for sale here

As mentioned, I like Dusky's too - well built, not fancy - priced right - if I were considering a boat in the 25' range, Dusky would be at the top of my list

In the size range you are considering, keep the following in mind:

Diving, with all the equipment, gear, et al - takes a lot of space, especially on a 22' boat - don't plan on taking out 6 divers -

The cabin is good for locking up gear, not sleeping - it also takes away from the deck area - my preference, but in your size range (and mine too for tthat matter) I think an open fisherman/center console has more utility - personal choice

If you plan to dive the Gulf, the sites are far offshore - IMO, 22 or 23' is too small - unless you REALLY pick your day and weather; even then 20 miles out in the Gulf, all sorts of things can still happen (remember those football players a few months back) -

Key's, if you are staying w/in the 6 - 7 miles of shore, have decent weather, use the set moorings, you are likely OK

Because of the bad economy, boats have gotten cheaper - I'd look to go up in size a little assuming the budget is there, and your vehicle can tow a little larger boat

While its a "sickness" and once you have been bitten by the boat bug there is no shaking it, you will never save money vs chartering - its almost always cheaper to charter unless your boat is a kayak - and even then I'm not so sure -

3 of us went out last Sun, had a FANTASTIC day; burned 30 gal @ $3.07 + oil (@ +/- $10) - But that's just the start and nowhere near the full cost

Factor maintenance (just got a bill for $2700 for basically routine maintenance - boat had not been serviced in 2 years - and repair of the power trim and tilt hydraulics), the cost of the boat, insurance, and 100 other things - well, you get the idea.

But nothing is better than the freedom to go where and when you want - you just have to be prepared to pay for it. :D

Jupiter 31 is dead-on with his post.

There are tons of deals out there (was at an auction site in Lauderdale yesterday) and you can pick and choose.

p.s. if you buy a Bayliner, your Florida Man-Card WILL be revoked! :D

Consider me officially warned! I don't want to open the Bayliner can of worms, so we'll just leave it like this: They're not in my search criteria :wink:

Tow vehicle will present some limitations. 7000 lbs is the max for my V8 4.6L Explorer (I know, I know, I should upgrade to the Expedition, but I'd rather have a boat right now). And that's 7000 lbs with only 1 occupant of the vehicle.
More realistically, I don't want to go over 5500 - 6000 lbs, to give me a healthy margin of error.

So, a 3800 lb boat + 600 lbs fuel (100 gals) + 900 lb trailer = 5300 lbs. Add some water and gear, and that's about the max I'd like to go. So, the 24' is about as big as I'd like to go.

Great info above.... here is my 2 cents....

I have a friend who had a 22 foot walk around.... I always throught I wanted one too until I dived off his boat. Might as well been a 16 foot boat as the cabin was nothing but a giant storage closet and served no real purpose for humans to use. In other words the cabin was a total waste of valuable deck space.

I know there is great debate about having two motors vs. the reliance of the new four strokes, but I just do not feel very good about driving to 60-80 feet in the Gulf with only one motor. Seems you are looking at older outboards, and to be honest that would kind of scare me to head over the horizion.

I had a 19 foot center console in Fort Myers for years. LOVED HAVING A BOAT. It was not enough boat for diving in the Gulf though, but for fishing near shore around the May and DH reefs, partying at the beach, exploring PI and Estero Bay, etc... it was awesome. Would 21 feet be enough to head out to the 240 ledge? On some days in the summer, but I would really watch the skies.

Come up with a budget for what you think it will cost to own a boat, then double it. Again, I loved having the boat, but it was expensive- far more than fuel, oil, payment, and storage. Everything breaks, and I purchased mine brand new. Salt water is evil stuff when it come to electronics, fishing gear, etc... I won't even go into my ethanol rant.

Lastly, my boat never had a head. When I bought it I didnt really care, but when the girl friend tagged along and had to pee 8 miles off shore, I really wished I had a toilet in the center console- especially when small sharks are about... some people just dont want to jump oveboard to use the rest room when it is somewhat sharky. :D

Last edited:
Tow vehicle will present some limitations. 7000 lbs is the max for my V8 4.6L Explorer (I know, I know, I should upgrade to the Expedition, but I'd rather have a boat right now). And that's 7000 lbs with only 1 occupant of the vehicle.
More realistically, I don't want to go over 5500 - 6000 lbs, to give me a healthy margin of error.

So, a 3800 lb boat + 600 lbs fuel (100 gals) + 900 lb trailer = 5300 lbs. Add some water and gear, and that's about the max I'd like to go. So, the 24' is about as big as I'd like to go.

Well, based on your weight criteria, it may be real difficult to cram a walkaround into that kind of weight/towing class. I like walkarounds and have never personally found any merit to 'hot cabins' (that is why they have hatches and I have had lots of crew nap out in there before) or a lack of deck space, but I may have been a little biased as my Dusky had a bunch of cockpit to work with.

However, some center consoles now offer the 'admiral option', ie, head in the center console, in that size range and you may find a 5300lb package in the 22-23 range.

As for a single engine, I took LOTS of single engined 20-25 foot boats to the Bahamas so I do not see a boat that size as presenting a problem; however, if you do make long runs, an EPIRB is a must and I also carried a satellite phone. As you can see, the toys start adding up too to rig out a boat. :D

I will kick my noggin' into gear this morning after my requisite 2 gallons of coffee and see if I can think of any reputable boats in that weight, size, and price range that will fit the bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom