Buying a boat that I can dive from

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, based on your weight criteria, it may be real difficult to cram a walkaround into that kind of weight/towing class. I like walkarounds and have never personally found any merit to 'hot cabins' (that is why they have hatches and I have had lots of crew nap out in there before) or a lack of deck space, but I may have been a little biased as my Dusky had a bunch of cockpit to work with.

Thanks Scooter! Most of the W/A's I've researched are in the 2800 - 3800 lb dry weight range, and I could go up to 4000 lbs max, and still be around 5500 total weight with a trailer, fuel and water. I just don't think I can go bigger than 24'. For example, I looked up a Mako, SeaFox, a Proline, and Wellcraft, all were in that range, and all were 21-23' walk arounds.

I'm open to center consoles too, although most don't offer much shade or a place to be dry. A place for a head is a very nice feature, as Matt mentioned. If it were up to me, I'd never have one on a boat that size, but my wife might object...

I'm open to center consoles too, although most don't offer much shade or a place to be dry. A place for a head is a very nice feature, as Matt mentioned. If it were up to me, I'd never have one on a boat that size, but my wife might object...

If I may make a suggestion, small boat cabins are relatively useless space suckers that add to maintenance and from my experience, are virtually never used. I sold boats for many years and noticed a pattern of small boat owners going from cuddy's and walkarounds to center consoles. If shade is really an issue for you just opt for a large Bimini-Top rather than a T-Top.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom