Buying a compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idiveinmud

Registered
Reaction score
hi i was wondering whether some one could tell me where i could buy a compressor to fill up some scuba tanks so that i would not have to drive sooo darn far to get them filled up

thnka mike

idiveinmud:
hi i was wondering whether some one could tell me where i could buy a compressor to fill up some scuba tanks so that i would not have to drive sooo darn far to get them filled up

thnka mike

Not all compressors are created equally.

You'll prob get better answers if you provided folks more info.

Like what type do you want?
What fill rate? 3cfm? 5cfm? 8cfm + ?
You want gas or electric?
220v single or 3 phase?
what type of filters?
plans to partial pressure mix nitrox?
portable or "fixed"?
cascade tanks?
3000psi or higher?

Find someone online that sells Bauer compressors. Find one you like that suits your needs and buy it. I recently got a new Bauer and that company is one of the finest I have ever dealt with. They are obsessed with customer service.

FYI, they are just a couple bucks more than those compressors you find at Home Depot.

cobaltblue:
Find someone online that sells Bauer compressors. Find one you like that suits your needs and buy it. I recently got a new Bauer and that company is one of the finest I have ever dealt with. They are obsessed with customer service.

FYI, they are just a couple bucks more than those compressors you find at Home Depot.

I LOVE MY BAUER COMPRESSOR :) you can deal with them directly.

Where you located? What's your budget? That would help alot in deciding where to point you.

Brent

It's like saying "where do I buy a car? " Some people don't realize that high pressure compressors can range from expensive to exhorbitant, kinda like diesel engines to which they are similar in some ways. They may also be unaware that some really cheap compressors are available on EBay but also not understand that they may have problems or the particular offering may be a scam. Some of the cheap compressors are military surplus and will only pump to 2250 or 3000 psi and may require mods or repairs. So, do you want a "renta-wreck" or go with Diamond Joe Brady (Bauer)? There are two Cornelius compressors on EBay right now. One of them is dubbed FreeAire. The other is unconverted military surplus. There is also this Airetex Co (the curley one) who sells Turkish compressors (Alkin). They are similar to Bauer but cheaper. However, after the sale, your day to day ability to consult with the company may vary. He's out to lunch or DEMA, or whatever. So, when you decide to ask us a serious question how about giving as much as you get: How many tanks, what pressure, what connections on the tanks, how mechanical are you, do you have 220v service, can you run a gas engine, can you be in attendance for two hours while your tanks fill, how much money you got-- for starters.

Disclosure: my dive locker compressor is a Bauer, my portable is a home assembled engine driven unit based on a military machine. It has the same performance as a Bauer Oceanus but weighs 10 lbs less and cost 1500 bucks plus a lot of work. I "love" the old Bauer Capitano but wouldn't trade the portable for an Oceanus, not even close.

OK ... so let's say I'm thinking to purchase a compressor for my home use. I would want to fill 20-30 tanks per month with it. Most would be high-pressure steels (3,500 psi). I really don't care it if takes an hour to fill a tank ... I prefer "cold" fills anyway.

I would also want the ability to mix nitrox, and perhaps even trimix ... although I only see myself using the latter once or twice per month.

What would be a "minimal" setup I would need in terms of T-bottles, compressor and/or booster, and mixing board to accommodate all of this. Is it achievable on a $5K budget? If not, how much should I realistically be looking at?

Oh ... and while we're at it ... what are the advantages/disadvantages of a Bauer over a Rix?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grateful, sure, easy. Go to govtliquidation. Sign up as a bidder. Be patient and wait for a Bauer Capitano. Advantage? It will last. Build your own stik. Total cost, about $2500. What is a mixing board? You don't need all those fancy valves and gauges you see on that one web site. Just rent some tanks of O2 and helium or argon and hookup to the stiks with surplus medical regulators to gauge the flow. Get a surplus Miniox analyzer for 100 bucks or get the ever popular El cheapo. If you need an He analyzer, add 800 smackers. Forget the booster but if you need one you can still squeeze in under $5000 total. It will have to be used or surplus. I saw some lovely boosters pass through govtliquidation recently.

Back
Top Bottom