Buying a compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right. Auto pressure stop is also a nice feature for a cascade.

And, O.2 CFM doesn't bother that much for a personal use as long as there is no leaking point on the system. Thanks to a numberous double sets, I only need to run every two weeks even though I plan to dive every weekend.

About the auto drain; perhaps the timer could be adjusted to, say, a 3 second duration. Should save some gas and do an adequate job besides. I've seen adjustable timers.

I see Alkin is referring to the mythical "80" cf tank. Everybody knows that the 77.4 cf, S80 is the reference on which fill times are calculated. Produces higher numbers when this practice is employed.

That seems to be longer than I open mine. My output must be lower than typical.

rjack321:
I only open for 5-7 seconds. With my temps (cold compared to alot of places - I pump alot at temps <60F) this seems to be enough to blow out more than enough water. There are always a few drops remaining in the primary filter. YMMV

Dan Gibson:
That seems to be longer than I open mine. My output must be lower than typical.

Hmm, maybe leaky piston rings?? How many hours do you have? I have about 80hrs on mine.

3 seconds is about what I'm using.

How does one go about adding autodrains? What all is involved with plumbing and electrical? I was looking at the Nuvair site the other day and am starting to think seriously about doing this in the future.

pescador775:
About the auto drain; perhaps the timer could be adjusted to, say, a 3 second duration. Should save some gas and do an adequate job besides. I've seen adjustable timers.

I see Alkin is referring to the mythical "80" cf tank. Everybody knows that the 77.4 cf, S80 is the reference on which fill times are calculated. Produces higher numbers when this practice is employed.

about 130 hrs.

rjack321:
Hmm, maybe leaky piston rings?? How many hours do you have? I have about 80hrs on mine.

A problem with auto drains is that you have to adjust them to worst-case assumptions if they are going to do their job with absolute reliability (and if they aren't, why have them?). Otherwise the danger is that you'll set them for minimal drain on a cool dry evening then forget and run the compressor on the same settings on a hot wet day, and either swamp your filters, or water lock and blow a head/cylinder.

Manually draining, you can drain for exactly as long as it necessary to get the moisure out, and no longer.

This is also the problem with homemade/improvised autodrains. Unless they are completely reliable, there isn't much point in having them.

BTW has anyone ever seen a good set of instructions for adding a generic autodrain setup to any compressor? Bauer I notice lists many of their compressors as not fittable with autodrains even though there is no inherent reason why one shouldn't be able to fit them to any compressor, so I have always assumed what Bauer means is just that they don't have a direct fit kit for them.

pescador775:

Reliability of auto drains is probably in the same range of statistical probabilities as an operator's attentiveness and short term memory. It is assumed that a compressor equipped with auto drain is normally used to fill multiple tanks or a cascade. In any case, with respect to the conditions under which the compressor operates, it is a fact that the condenser will accumulate more or less moisture and that it must be drained. However, it is not necessary to dump every drop, just enough to allow the compressor to continue to function reliably. Since most moisture is voided in the first three seconds I see no problem with drain activations lasting a few seconds when viewed in terms of the rather short drain cycles recommended by the mfgrs, eg, every fifteen minutes. Very little moisture can accumulate in a small compressor in so short a time. I would suggest a 3-4 second dump in the average time to fill one S80, about 25 minutes.

My strategy has always been to equip all compressors, even small compressors (4 cfm) with a large condenser equpped with BP valve. This is followed by a hybrid condenser/filter, IOW, the second unit is an aluminum cylinder with micronic separator in the bottom and filter canister on top. Thus, there is a large primary condenser fitted with a BP valve, which can hold up to five ozs of water, and normally traps virtually all liquid moisture. Additionally, there is a secondary condenser/filter which holds about 1.5 ozs. The manufacturer of the large condenser, Walter Kidde, says that drain intervals can be up to 2 hours although I usually activate the drain every hour. When drained, no gas is lost from the secondary canister due to the BP valve on canister #1. When draining gas from the secondary, not one drop of water has ever been visible when the drain was activated regardless of humidity. Nothing but air comes out.

I don't know an exact mechanism of auto drain, but I am sure that Alkin sets it up for the worst case assumption. So, it might be a little bit loss for winter season, but it might be about right in summer season. I can tell that the auto drain interval in summer was more frequent.

So, in conclusion, there is nothing much difference among the portable machines in performance wise. I would like to hear more about Bauer Jr. II. though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom