Buying a Reg Online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBeez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey All
I'm poking around trying to pick a reg from an online store and having a hell of a time. Being cheap/broke I am trying to get the most cost effective items. The problem is, not being able to actually try out and play with each different brand its almost impossible to make a decision.
SO here's the question. Are there any reg's that are notrious for being difficult to breathe, breaking easily/often or any other oddity? Any brands that you can say are NOT recommended?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Well, therein lies one of the problems of the "online store"- not being able to handle the merchandise and not being able to easily get advice from the store staff.
Why not stop into your LDS and talk to them. Many manufacturers now offer a satisfaction guarantee which allows you to return gear (for store credit) if you don't like the way it works/fits, etc.
Why not give your LDS a chance to help you in your gear selection. Maybe they have some used gear you could purchase also?

i say call Scuba Toys once you decide on a reg. or, give them a call and ask the same question/s. i bet if you get a reg and dont like it for what ever reason, they will work with you until you are happy. the money you save on the deal(my LDS's are rediculous in their prices and wont even try to come close to internet prices) you get i am sure will out weigh the shipping costs and down time waiting(if any at all) just my 2psi worth. good luck.

Bill

Thanks GONEHAWKN for the kind words and the vote of confidence. ScubaBeez, I'd want to ask you a few questions before I could make a recommendation. We'd want to know what type of diving are you doing... cold?? I see you're in New England - Do you go jumping in the lakes in January? Or do you fly down to the Bahamas for your dives? Do you have any features that mean a lot to you... like adjustments, piston vs diaphragm etc.

Are you after a whole setup? With a computer? Or just gauges..

If you want to give us a call, we'd love to try to figure out what would work out best for your type of diving, your needs, and obviously... your budget.

What sort of diving do you do or intend to do WARM/Cold Tec/Rec? What sort of gear have you used and do you like it? What sort of gear does your buddy use? An LDS is not always an option but if you have one local it doesn't hurt to ask them to match online prices. You can also find a reputable authorised online seller such as Scubatoys.com in the states or divetub.com here in Australia who have excellent customer service and might be able to help direct you. All that being said if you buy something from Zeagle, Dacor, Scubapro, Oceanic, Augualung or other popular brands you will do probably do just fine. Id stay away from real cheap no name can't find a website for brands. It is hard to make a real big mistake these days with good brand name gear.

Scuba Toys spent a half hour on the phone with me just answering questions before they had any clue I'd purchase from them, which I did. They're 900 miles away, and since I live in the sticks, they're my LDS.

What did you end up going with?

ScubaBeez:
Hey All
I'm poking around trying to pick a reg from an online store and having a hell of a time. Being cheap/broke I am trying to get the most cost effective items. The problem is, not being able to actually try out and play with each different brand its almost impossible to make a decision.
SO here's the question. Are there any reg's that are notrious for being difficult to breathe, breaking easily/often or any other oddity? Any brands that you can say are NOT recommended?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

I definitly do NOT recommend the Mares Rebel.
(while I am extrem happy with the Abyss). If you plan to travel ask for the warranty outside the country you bought it.

I would love to give my LDS the business, but unfortunately they only carry a handful of very pricey models but I still use them for smaller purchases and rentals (right now). As far as ScubaToys goes, I too have had fantastic experience with them and I was already planning to purchase my reg there. No persuasion needed!
Right now I'm just doing rec driving up here in the super chilly NE waters, Although it would be nice if my reg could make the transfer to warm water if I should travel.

Well, any cold water reg can dive in warm water... it's just some warm water ones that could have issues in cold... and by cold, we're talking about sub 40 temps. So if going in very cold, we will want to lean toward something like a sealed reg - and there are some good options for sealed diaphragms from oceanic and aeris that are pretty inexpensive. Ir you can get into the Zeagle sealed regs for a bit more. Just will depend on your temps and budget.

Back
Top Bottom