Buying a used strobe for G10.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goneaway

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

After my ranting in previous threads I finally decied to for the Patima housing for my G10.
Now I'm on the hunt for a strobe, and it just so happends I found a Sea & Sea YS110, not alpha, used. I think the asking price is about 250USD.
According to seller its been used once although bought 2 years ago, not unresonable I guess given the conditions in Scandinavia.

So, is this a decent strobe? Does it have any known qwerks and especially in combo with Patima or Canon G10?

I know NWGratefulDiver had a thread about a G10 and said strobe earlier but as I recall that ended well and all.

Any input greatly appreciated as I'm more or less clueless on UW-strobes and gear.

//Fred

Any optical slave strobe should be fine, otherwise a cabled ttl flash like
a Ikelite DS-xx with the right cable should work fine as well.
Ask Ryan at Reef Photo, they are sellers of Patima housings and are very well informed.
Yes, Sea&Sea are fine strobes as well, but double check what type of bulkhead (Nikonos oor Patima) you have o your housing to make sure that you can connect the YS110 with the Patima housing.

Chris

I have the Nikonos connection on the housing, but I was really set on using an optical connection at first. Is that bad?

No, it's maybe even better.
Today, optical connections work fine reliable and you don't
have to worry that they flood...

You may have to get some practice how to set the G10 and the strobe,
but i use a Inon D-2000 optica strobe with my G11 and everything works fine.

Chris

How about the strobe itself then, the Sea & Sea YS110? Not the newer alpha model.
Is it a decent buy at the price I mentioned, $250USD?

On a side note, do you use the patima housing for g11? If so could you post some real pictures of it somewhere? Getting really fed up with all these PR shots which shows nothing.

//Fred

The YS110 is a widely used strobe and it seems that it works fine.
I personally would buy a D-2000 or a new, other one for some 200$ more, because i trust nobody (not even me :D) but that's me...

I uploaded yesterday a photos for another tread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/strobes-lighting/336526-kit.html

Chris

Ok thank you for that.
Below is a picture of the item I'm interested in. Unfortunetly I don't have the extra 200$ at the moment. The last precious few $$ is going towards a Zen lens. Also, a new D2000 is way more expensive here than in the states for example.

Will I have to get a new fiberoptic connection to fit my housing?

44ea9cf5da891e7cccf1c70d608540a4.jpg

looks new, so go for it.
No you don't need a new fiber optic cable, if the attached plug don't work with your housing,
just cut it away and poke it thru the rubber adapter on your Patima housing.

Chris

My optical connection looks like this;
4642522629_349e7e1e59.jpg

Also I dont know if I can use the arms in the above deals as handle. Would that be sturdy enough?

Back
Top Bottom