Buying from Amazon anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supernix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I have tried a 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch in the past for rent and it fit well. It was tough moving around in it since it is so thick, but it fit.
Sad to say I have trouble finding a suit that fits so the only thing that I have found that really works is the Henderson Hyperstretch.
I saw a Henderson Hyperstretch H2 on Amazon and have been seriously debating getting one. I just don't know if it fits like the old Hyperstretch does,
or did they change the design when they released the H2?

Also curious what anyone's experience has been when buying SCUBA gear from Amazon if you have?

I usually only dive Jocassee since that is the best local lake in my area, so I am wondering would the 5MM be okay or should I really insist on the 7MM.
I will say that I did dive a 5MM back a few weeks ago not sure what brand the suit was, but I didn't get cold and the water was about 57 degrees at a max depth of 59'.

Looking forward to any help and feedback.

Thanks,

I don't see any problem buying from Amazon, I assume their policies are the same regardless of product purchased.

With a suit fit is everything, I would not buy a suit online unless I could return/exchange it.

Temperature tolerance is a personal thing and can vary greatly from person to person. In those temps I'd be diving dry if I owned a drysuit but as I don't I'd be wearing my two piece hooded Farmer John. It's easy to cool down if you get too warm by flushing some water through the suit. There is little you can do if you're cold. Another thing to consider is if you do two dives in one day you're likely to feel the cold more on the second dive. Nothing ruins a dive like being cold. Personally I would not buy a 5mm for a lake with 57f. Good luck.

Beware of the free shipping option!!! I have found out if you select the free shipping instead of paying it seems to take forever to get your goods. Personally not all that impressed with Amazon. Have found better deals looking myself and doing some research.

i shop amazom for almost everything except scuba gear... reason being i get the same gear at much lower prices than on amazon... but if amazon has the gear at the right price.. I will go there in a heartbeat.. amazon's customer service and problem resolution is the best

I have yet to find much dive gear on Amazon that's actually sold by Amazon - usually it appears there as a Marketplace merchant. Anyone can set up to sell thru Amazon. In some cases, Amazon actually fulfills the order. In these cases, you need to check since I believe Amazon refers you to the Seller's return policies, etc.

Not that this is necessisarily bad in any way, you just have to make sure that you read closely and don't assume that things will always be handled in the usual Amazon way.

For diving in the upstate I wear at least a 7 mil all the time. I get cold very easy, so I choose the 7. YMMV but, water at Jocassee is never warm. The Bermuda Triangle in Greenville is a Henderson stocking dealer. So trying the suits on locally is not out of the question. Being that amazon forces me to pay shipping, and then they send a tax receipt at the end of the year I have found that buying locally is usually a better option where available.

Thanks everyone for your great advice. I decided that I would go ahead with the purchase through Amazon since they had the size I wanted and have a great reputation. It was a toss up between them and scuba.com as I recall, and I don't know anything about scuba.com they have a nice website and nice prices.

One of my LDS's told me not to get a BCD from Liesurepro not sure if that is out of spite because they have such low prices as well or if that is from actual experience.

Some of the scuba gear sold are by some of the place people normally goto (Leisure Pro as an example). I check to see whats up, you can sometimes find decent deals.

I've bought two wetsuits off Amazon with zero problems. NeoSport 7mm and 3mm full suits, better prices than anyone.

As an added bonus, I subscribe to Amazon prime, so free 2-day shipping is always a plus.

additionally i've bought gear from leisurepro and scuba.com as well... both had no problems, except scuba pro its better to call for gear size availability because the site is not always accurate regarding their stock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom