Buying new BCD - advice appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The AL Outlaw is another, significantly less expensive, and lightweight option. No pockets, but has web loops for attachment points. Modular system that can be fitted well. I think they say 27 possible configurations.
Simple takedown with no tools. Medium is under 5 pounds

I think one or two Outlaw users have posted here on SB that, if you need to use the weight pockets they sell for the Outlaw, that mount on the belt, that they are a major pain in the butt. Check out the Outlaw thread in the BCD subforum if you want more/better info.

if you need to use the weight pockets they sell for the Outlaw, that mount on the belt, that they are a major pain in the butt

Easy and solid to put the SureLock pockets in on the boat or shore. Next to impossible with the BC on in the water. Not hard to ditch if needed.

http://www.deepbluedive.com/ I went to this shop and tried on a fair number of BCDs, eventually deciding on an Aqualung Axiom, Its a shade heavier than I would have liked (plane baggage weight limits) and I would have preferred Cressi gravity drop weight pockets rather than integrated pull out weights but I could not find a BCD that met ALL my preferences. The Axiom is by far the most comfortable (on land) BCD I have had on but it will be Wednesday night before I get to try it in water - a 4m deep swimming pool.

My husband and I have also only had them for a few months, but have 20lbs for Tahoe dives with out an issue. They do have a warranty in the event something goes wrong . The only issue with ScubaPro is you can’t go directly to them, only the store you purchased from can communicate directly with them.

The AL Outlaw is another, significantly less expensive, and lightweight option. No pockets, but has web loops for attachment points. Modular system that can be fitted well. I think they say 27 possible configurations.
Simple takedown with no tools. Medium is under 5 pounds

I think one or two Outlaw users have posted here on SB that, if you need to use the weight pockets they sell for the Outlaw, that mount on the belt, that they are a major pain in the butt. Check out the Outlaw thread in the BCD subforum if you want more/better info.

Easy and solid to put the SureLock pockets in on the boat or shore. Next to impossible with the BC on in the water. Not hard to ditch if needed.

I am one of the Outlaw reviewers mentioned by @stuartv. See my post #83 for summary and reference back to previous posts Aqualung Outlaw I bought an Outlaw last summer and gave it a good workout with about 200 dives. I see the outlaw as a niche BC, good for diving in warm water with a minimal amount of weight, that's what I may break it out again for.

I have Surelock weight pockets on my BC as well. I have come to hate the things because it is way to easy to detach them accidentally while gearing up, or while in the water. Then, as woodcarver states, it is impossible to reattach them without taking off the BC.

I have added a second clip to each pouch, so that if the Surelock lets go, the second clip will keep it from falling to the bottom. I realize this undermines the the ease of ditching weight, but it is both inconvenient, and possibly unsafe, to suddenly loose ballast during a dive.

My travel BCD is a Zeagle Stiletto. It's not as light as some of the minimalist rigs but it has pockets and D rings so I can carry a light, smb, reel, and clip off my camera so I don't lose it. It's a back inflate just like the BP/W but with the velcro cummerbund it's more comfortable. I know the BP/W is the holy grail to some folks but I had one and hated it. Not just disliked but hated. I like to shoot photos and invert myself to look into low caves close to the bottom and only having a single bottom dump really made that more trouble than any supposed benefit the BP/W provided otherwise.

The weight pockets are easy to use and should you ever have to dump them that's also simple, although you lose both front pockets with one pull so you best be in real trouble and on the surface to do so. It has trim pockets where they need to be. On the surface if I have to hang out for more than a few minutes I flip on my back and float above the bladder like a sea otter. Staying in that position is simple and comfortable, even if you have to swim on your back for a ways.

I am quite new diver (have less than 30 dives). I was pretty busy in various trainings in order to get knowledge how to properly dive in various situation and got few PADI certifications. Now I am planning to go to Egypt for liveaboard and want to buy BCD. I read quite a lot about various BCS (jacket, wing) and see that they have a different price tag. Finally I choose ScubaPro Hydros Pro BCD but want to ask this community whether this BSC is really for me. My considerations are the following:

1) Mostly I will be flying to my diving locations and, accordingly, I need lightweight BCD. What I read in ScubaPro site, that usually lightweight BCDs are good for travel however, they sacrifice sturdiness and some comfort. ScubaPro Hydros Pro is advertised as BCD which is very sturdy, comfortable and professional. My question is: is it really true or just another advertisement from manufacturer.

2) ScubaPro Hydro Plus is advertised as BCD for life as you can easily change each of component yourself. My question is will it be accessible spare parts for such BCD after more than 10 years.

3) It is advertised as hybrid BCD which combines jacket and wing BCD qualities. Due to trim pockets you can easily maintain vertical position on surface.

4) It is advertised that you will need to put less lead comparing to standard jacket BCDs. This is really important for me. In salt water, wearing 3 mm shorty I was usually using 8 kg / 18 lbs weight belt. I really expect that I will be able to use less weight with this BCD. Also, in ideal case I would like to use integrated weights and get rid of weight belt. How much lead reduction (in kg / lbs) I could expect. Also, can someone enlighten how this integrated weight system works...... I never used BCD with integrated weights, always used weight belt.

My concerns:

1) I never dived with BP/W, hybrid BCD and I am a bit afraid that this ScubaPro Hydros Pro BCD could be too hard to dive as it is advertised for technical divers, instructors. As in golf, there are clubs for amateurs and professionals. in golf amateur usually is not able to properly play pro clubs. I am afraid that this could be a similar case with this BCD.

2) Should I really expect that I will be able to use this BCD for remaining of life (let's say 20-25 years... when I reach pension age) or this is more advertisement gimmick.

3) This BCD is pretty expensive. Are these costs really justifiable? I can afford it but usually before buying more expensive this I like to do thorough analysis.

4) There are options to buy it with Air 2 system or with balanced inflator. Do I understand correctly, that if I buy it with Air 2 system, I will not need to have Octopus as it substitutes Octopus. Is it convenient to use such system or it is better to have standard Octopus on regulator. Also, what does it mean "balanced power inflator"? Could not find it anywhere in product description.

5) Regarding size: I am 186 cm, weight 112 kg. From all descrioptions I see that I would need L size. If someone similar like me uses it, can you comment whether L size or XL size I would need to buy.

If you think that I am too inexperienced for such BCD, please tell me and propose what good BCD I could choose for my experience level. I will be happy to hear all comments and advices.
No matter what, don't buy a BCD without first trying it. It's an expensive investment made to last for your foreseeable dive experiences. It took me 4 years to fall in love with my Zeagle Stiletto; I love it for its comfort, lightweight, versatility, and NO questions asked lifetime guarantee! This is one dive gear component that you really need to try and get the feel for, unlike a dive computer where I recommend everyone get their own for their dives.

I tried so many BCDs until I was really comfortable. Some trim BCDs don't fit well, have awkward to reach pockets, uncomfortable weight pockets, and feel flimsy. I urge you to check out a store that had them and ask if they rent them out to try. I hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom