buying questions???????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty

Reaction score
I have been diving for several years now. I have my own mask, snorkel, wet suits, weight belt, and fins. I have never owned a regulator or bc. When I go on my dives my dive masters have always taken care of that part so I never paid much attention to the details. I am now ready to take the plunge and buy a regulator. To be complete what do I need to have a set. I am looking at scubapro and others. I have been looking at rodales recomendations. Please help me out. Thanks a bunch in advance.

For just openwater diving of a non technical manner you can't go wrong with an APEKS ATX20 or ATX40...As far as BC's, get a back inflate like the Dacor RIG, Beuchat Masterlift Tec or genesis Recon

How much are you looking to spend? The two general recommendations on here are Scubapro and Apeks. At leisurepro.com you can get a Scubapro MK16 first stage + S550 second stage for $260. You'd also need to pick up an R380 backup regulator (lots of people don't like the term octopus) for like $120.

I bought my Apeks TX40 from DiveInn at scubastore.com. They're in Spain. You can pick up a pretty hot complete setup (ATX50 primary with an ATX40 backup) for $400. The Mk16 and Apeks first stages are sealed, which is pretty nice because then it's almost impossible to freeze up the first stage in cold water. You'll get lots of opinions.

Mose once bubbled...
For just openwater diving of a non technical manner you can't go wrong with an APEKS ATX20 or ATX40...As far as BC's, get a back inflate like the Dacor RIG, Beuchat Masterlift Tec or genesis Recon

There is no such thing as an ATX20 :wink: IMO there's no reason not to upgrade to the ATX40 from the AT20.

Excuse me Mr Johnny, you are right , there is no ATX20 sometimes my fingers just carried away And the reason I said the 40 is I personally like the 40 second better that I do the 20 and you can get the AT20 Or the ATX40 with either the DS4 or the DST first and I like the DS4, no failure point without the swivel

Mose once bubbled...
Excuse me Mr Johnny, you are right , there is no ATX20 sometimes my fingers just carried away And the reason I said the 40 is I personally like the 40 second better that I do the 20 and you can get the AT20 Or the ATX40 with either the DS4 or the DST first and I like the DS4, no failure point without the swivel

Depending on where you buy, the DS4 can add $100 to the cost of the reg set. It's really not worth it, if you ask me.

I posted this on a similar question here... with a few changes. A lot of the people, as we can see, are very happy with their gear. Which is a good thing. And opinions abound. And my name here gives away where my allegience lies. But all that in mind your best bet is to visit a couple shops and check around online (preferrably at sites that are authorized dealers of the gear they sell), and find a few regs that interest you in the price range you are comfortable with.

Once found, see about renting a set of each and taking them for a dive. If you can't do that, and can't find a rep who will let you demo them, ask anybody and everybody what they think, and why.

Try to be specific in your questions otherwise you wind up with answers from us wise guys along the lines of "this company sux... buy my reg or you are gonna drown"... or "I dive the XYZ123 because I was convinced it's the best!".

Well, maybe not that bad, but you get the gyst.

But honestly, even though I have my own opinions and biases towards a manufacturer or two, if you do that all, you can't go wrong. There aren't many regs out there on the market that can be really considered a bad choice, and your homework will bring them to the surface and eliminate them straight away. After that, no matter what you choose, you'll be winding up with a nice new toy.

Good Luck!

What is so different about the (MK16 as MK2) and (S550 and say R190 or R380). Thanks again.

Mose once bubbled...

Whats the real difference between a DS4 and a DST
Doesn't the Apeks ATX200 come with the DST????

Thanks Pete:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom