Buying scuba gear to last

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of great advice being given Dante so this is probably just repeating what many others have said (which maybe adds to the there must be a reason everyone is saying it).

There were a few pieces of gear that I bought early and have continued with me for 4 or so years and will hopefully continue to last for several more. And in a few cases they really weren't all that expensive... Though I'm not what I consider a tech diver I deeply enjoy more serious dives.

Of those pieces of gear the Backplate & wing... hard to go wrong. Though that said most of my dives are not salt so in going from single to double I wound up replacing the SS backplate and moving to an aluminum. Worked better with double 130's.

Bottom timer- for me became the Suunto Vyper. With proper training true bottom timer could have saved couple hundred bucks.

Regs. I don't think it was mentioned, probably everyone presumed it/knew it but you may as well start with Din regs. I wound up using Apeks. You can actually find used sets pretty inexpensively and there are a number of places that work on them. Used set was about $250. To each their own experience the few I've met with scuba pro seemed to have great relations with a local shop and could get them adjusted/worked on. I don't have that immediate access and so have found it much more convenient to send off once a year or two.

Drysuit. you hadn't mentioned the drysuit (?) and in Canada... yea gonna be going dry... and good lord the best thing ever was a p-valve. :)

Steel tanks. If/when buying tanks- buy two at same time. Used is typically fine. One fine day you will probably double them up. That said then buy the size that you expect to double up. Most of the groups I dive with have double 104/130. Aluminum 80's potential nice choice. I didn't do it, but could have easily done 2 as singles, then doubled them, and then eventually broken them up for stages... All that said almost always seems to be someone selling off some steel tanks.

ohh and the other piece of gear that follows just about everywhere. 18W HID cannister light. Light technology quickly changing but a cannister with goodman handle has been pretty standard. You can now buy more light, and if the people you are diving with have better lights then you may have to. But for the most part you should be able to not buy a new light and get something that will last you a long time. Or buy new but not the current newest thing (i.e. a new 21 W isn't that expensive and it really is a lot of light).

My normal mantra is to advise "try before you buy" and to find out why anyone recommends anything. Seems as if every LDS will encourage not buying the competitiors gear so it can become quickly confusing if taking in their advice/sales speak. Likewise seems like many people have only tried one piece of gear and will advise it is the best thing ever. I've tried to avoid the "best thing ever", but will admit that I haven't used too many pieces and things.

It won't be the gear that winds up being expensive. Seems to be the going diving more and taking training along the way to be able to do the "big trip" is where it adds up. That said if a person has a certain amount of money (say $500 or whatever) and needs gear and needs to go diving it is possible to save on parts of the gear (i.e. computer) and dive. Avoid buying enough gear and you get lots of dive time in.

Just some random thoughts. hope helps some.

Dave

I think all the info you have been given is very reasonable , while I am in no way a tech diver, I AM an information pack rat :)
light .. I've seen a lot of posts on HID lights and a common post is that get a 21w or so light and skip the 10 or so watt ones ... you will eventually want a bit more light than a 10w puts out (I bet 18w fits the bill)

I normally won't advice getting a used reg the first time round as it's hard to tell whats been done to the reg if you're not familiar with it.

I've seen regs almost black on the inside cus the guy couldn't be bothered to service it since, he got it.

It would be better to get used mk17 after he has one first.

SangP

Dante31,

Don't thank me yet, you might be cursing me and the rest of the guys when you realize just how expensive tech diving can get :cussing:!

The scubapro Mk17/G250V is about as good as it gets so there's nothing to worry about there but ask if you can get another g250v as an octo.

Just take your time choosing your gear and call good reliable shops like Edd at caveadventurers or Randy at piranhadivemfg.com.

SangP

From what I red, tech diving can get cheaper with a rebreather. I have been reading up on them (I even chose one: megalodon), and I would like to move to one, once I have done some tech diving. I know the training for them is expensive, as are they, but the saving on trimix/heliox seems to be worth it in the long run (not to mention less deco time).

Lots of great advice being given Dante so this is probably just repeating what many others have said (which maybe adds to the there must be a reason everyone is saying it).

There were a few pieces of gear that I bought early and have continued with me for 4 or so years and will hopefully continue to last for several more. And in a few cases they really weren't all that expensive... Though I'm not what I consider a tech diver I deeply enjoy more serious dives.

Of those pieces of gear the Backplate & wing... hard to go wrong. Though that said most of my dives are not salt so in going from single to double I wound up replacing the SS backplate and moving to an aluminum. Worked better with double 130's.

Bottom timer- for me became the Suunto Vyper. With proper training true bottom timer could have saved couple hundred bucks.

Regs. I don't think it was mentioned, probably everyone presumed it/knew it but you may as well start with Din regs. I wound up using Apeks. You can actually find used sets pretty inexpensively and there are a number of places that work on them. Used set was about $250. To each their own experience the few I've met with scuba pro seemed to have great relations with a local shop and could get them adjusted/worked on. I don't have that immediate access and so have found it much more convenient to send off once a year or two.

Drysuit. you hadn't mentioned the drysuit (?) and in Canada... yea gonna be going dry... and good lord the best thing ever was a p-valve. :)

Steel tanks. If/when buying tanks- buy two at same time. Used is typically fine. One fine day you will probably double them up. That said then buy the size that you expect to double up. Most of the groups I dive with have double 104/130. Aluminum 80's potential nice choice. I didn't do it, but could have easily done 2 as singles, then doubled them, and then eventually broken them up for stages... All that said almost always seems to be someone selling off some steel tanks.

ohh and the other piece of gear that follows just about everywhere. 18W HID cannister light. Light technology quickly changing but a cannister with goodman handle has been pretty standard. You can now buy more light, and if the people you are diving with have better lights then you may have to. But for the most part you should be able to not buy a new light and get something that will last you a long time. Or buy new but not the current newest thing (i.e. a new 21 W isn't that expensive and it really is a lot of light).

My normal mantra is to advise "try before you buy" and to find out why anyone recommends anything. Seems as if every LDS will encourage not buying the competitiors gear so it can become quickly confusing if taking in their advice/sales speak. Likewise seems like many people have only tried one piece of gear and will advise it is the best thing ever. I've tried to avoid the "best thing ever", but will admit that I haven't used too many pieces and things.

It won't be the gear that winds up being expensive. Seems to be the going diving more and taking training along the way to be able to do the "big trip" is where it adds up. That said if a person has a certain amount of money (say $500 or whatever) and needs gear and needs to go diving it is possible to save on parts of the gear (i.e. computer) and dive. Avoid buying enough gear and you get lots of dive time in.

Just some random thoughts. hope helps some.

Dave

Why buy two tanks at the same time? Wouldn't I need new wings and a manifold with that too?

I think all the info you have been given is very reasonable , while I am in no way a tech diver, I AM an information pack rat :)
light .. I've seen a lot of posts on HID lights and a common post is that get a 21w or so light and skip the 10 or so watt ones ... you will eventually want a bit more light than a 10w puts out (I bet 18w fits the bill)

Ill keep that in mind when I get around to buying lights. I would have most likely found this out the hard way (after buying the wrong one).

I normally won't advice getting a used reg the first time round as it's hard to tell whats been done to the reg if you're not familiar with it.

I've seen regs almost black on the inside cus the guy couldn't be bothered to service it since, he got it.

It would be better to get used mk17 after he has one first.

SangP

Yeah, used things you have to be careful with. I certainly wouldn't consider getting used life support equipment the first time around. There is possibility of problems even with new equipment, but for used you really have to know what you are doing to be sure everything is as it should be.

I have had alot of success with Aqualung products. I would take a look at the Aqualung website, for I have used Cressi and Scubapro as well, but Aqualung in my opinion is the best.

Why buy two tanks at the same time? Wouldn't I need new wings and a manifold with that too?

great follow up question (always ask why in my opinion...)

My thoughts were that if you are starting in singles with a plan to go into more technical dives then there is an overwhelming chance you will be going to doubles.

Having two tanks made at same/similar time will make them all the easier to "pair" together into doubles.

yes when that takes place you will need the bands and manifold.

Usually owning your own tanks will make the diving trips all the easier. If you are always flying/traveling then that is a different story. 2 tanks seems to be a near "min" for going on a boat trip or simply meeting up with people at a quarry and being able to get out and back in the water relatively quickly. Not a show stopper to not own, but makes life easier.

Dave

Can I add the slow down part again... rebreathers!

You're a mirror image of me when I first started too, get the best to last (Halcyon eclipse, FF excelerating, jets, etc, etc) I was also thinking of rebreathers too till the 50K investment in terms of training, equipment, risks etc put me off thinking about them for a while.

Just get your basic equipment, dive, enjoy, repeat till you're bored of single tanks n then come back to ask for more advice.

SangP

Can I add the slow down part again... rebreathers!

You're a mirror image of me when I first started too, get the best to last (Halcyon eclipse, FF excelerating, jets, etc, etc) I was also thinking of rebreathers too till the 50K investment in terms of training, equipment, risks etc put me off thinking about them for a while.

Just get your basic equipment, dive, enjoy, repeat till you're bored of single tanks n then come back to ask for more advice.

SangP

Thank you!

Rebreathers? I am a new diver and i dont have a lot of experience or knowledge, but clearly you aren't thinking this through. Have you spokend with a rebreather diver? Sure, there are advantages, but what if it fails? You still need an OC way to bail-out, which means you still need to bring the gas with you for extended dives.

You say your goal is cave diving, but it still seems like you goal is fancy equipment and advanced training without learning the ins and outs. Its like thinking you are ready to race a ducati just because you can ride a tricycle.

Your enthusiasm is great, and I admire it, but you should slow down a bit.

If you are a new diver, you need to buy gear that will work with a single tank. I doubt anybody is going to counsel you to go straight into sidemounted doubles from your OW certification. I would recommend picking up a standard backplate and single tank wing setup to begin with. You are going to spend a lot of money getting into cave and technical diving -- the cost of a Nomad or Armadillo setup will be lost in the noise.

At the end of the game you will own nothing that you started with. The game keeps changing.

At the end of the game you will own nothing that you started with. The game keeps changing.

Shhhhh, don't tell him that let him burst the bubble himself :rofl3:!

Diving is one of the only sports where you don't get anything from coming in first:

No prizes for:
1. Going down and coming up first.
2. Having more gear then the rest
3. Going round the dive site first
4. Spending more time checking out your valves/gauges more often than anyone else.
5. No of times you can clear your mask
6. Having the highest SAC
8. Finally you don't get any prize for having the latest n most expensive gear... :baby::dork2:

SangP

Btw, tech diving SOUNDS cool but actually you look like a fool! We look and move about like a pregnant whale, barely able to stand up straight with 4 tanks, waddle about trying to get into the water asap and return to the surface after a long diving looking and feeling like something the cat dragged in a week ago!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom