buying wet suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STOGEY

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This will be my 2nd year diving, and becuase I am into lifting weights I am thinking about buying another wet suit; because my present one is becomming fairly tight when my arms and shoulders get bigger. I am also ging to go the 2 piece, because it is easier for me to get my self into and out of specially with a 2 piece that has front zippers.

Anyways I was wondering has anyone here bought a wet suit over the net from one of the many companies that advertise here, or am I taking a big risk?

I went to my scuba shop dealer who sold me the first one, and he said that he could get me a extra stretch that would cost about 450 bucks. I saw and XL wet suit in one of the companies that advertises here, that I could get for about 200-300 bucks.

Any suggestions are welcome.

If you know your size, then you can buy anything you want.

I've found the Hyperstretch suits to be fantastic. You don't feel like it's on. Using the usual 7mm suits, I found them compressing me making standing up straight a challenge. Always fighting me. With the Hyperstretch, no such problem. Easier to get on and off. . They are supposed to stretch some ridiculous amount like 200%. The hyperstretch hood is great, no more pulling your hair out. I have 3, 5 and 7mm Hyperstretch suits and only the 7mm is two piece for the warmth

STOGEY:
This will be my 2nd year diving, and becuase I am into lifting weights I am thinking about buying another wet suit; because my present one is becomming fairly tight when my arms and shoulders get bigger. I am also ging to go the 2 piece, because it is easier for me to get my self into and out of specially with a 2 piece that has front zippers.

Anyways I was wondering has anyone here bought a wet suit over the net from one of the many companies that advertise here, or am I taking a big risk?

I went to my scuba shop dealer who sold me the first one, and he said that he could get me a extra stretch that would cost about 450 bucks. I saw and XL wet suit in one of the companies that advertises here, that I could get for about 200-300 bucks.

if you fit the stock sizes, then you're good, course remember if you are seriously into lifting weights your body dimensions probably don't scale the same as a regular fit, fit is everything in a wetsuit, so you may be better off getting fitted for a custom

I gotta agree with Shasta_man. The HYPERSTRETCH ones are great and easy to take on/off. You can get a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch for $225-$245 and the 5mm is around $265 I think. Check those out.

There are other manufacturers that make Hyperstretch besides Henderson, but I can't speak for those.

Thanks, my usual dive store always want to sell the top of the line stufff which is ok, but I've had quotes for a 2 piece hyper stretch for about 500. At the same time I looked on the scuba toys.com and found not a hyper stretch but a comparable one for about 250, that's a big difference in price.

Not only do I do alot of weight lifting, but I do alot of swimming which keeps my circulation really good. Last year when I dove during the warmest part of the year up here in New England, around late August, the water was close to 68. My present suit is 7mm thick, and I think it was actually a bit too warm. I mean I could have over heated fairly easy, and that's almsot worse then being too cold under water for me.

With a 2 peice and a front zipper, if I get a bit wamr, its easier to open the zipper abit to let in some cool anti freeze. Or I may actually try a 6.5 or 5mm suit, or a combination there of. Which is a reason why I'm going to go with a 2 peice. I realize that for right now 2 peices are not that much really in style, but I don't care too much about style, I'd rather be diving.

You may be able to have the fix modified. It may or may not be cost effective. but a custom suit mkaer could add a dimond shapped patch to the underarm and cheast sides

Of course Tripple L will costom make a suit for $100. It will not be hyperstretch but if it is custom fit the stiffer rubber is OK.

STOGEY:

I just got a custom made by Aquaflite.com in Florida. It fits very well for the measurements I sent. It is a little loose in areas but they will take it up. I am on a dieting/exercise program so I figure I will wait a while longer. Anyway I went with a 3mm fullsuit with a 5 mm shortie with a 5mm hood. Wrist and ankle zippers, extra $89 for custom fitting and $28 for using up most of the neoprene in the western world and with shipping it came to $420. Next time I will probably go to a tailor for the measurements or just go down there for a short vacation. Basically I am very happy with their product.

AggieDad:
I just got a custom made by Aquaflite.com in Florida. It fits very well for the measurements I sent. It is a little loose in areas but they will take it up. I am on a dieting/exercise program so I figure I will wait a while longer. Anyway I went with a 3mm fullsuit with a 5 mm shortie with a 5mm hood. Wrist and ankle zippers, extra $89 for custom fitting and $28 for using up most of the neoprene in the western world and with shipping it came to $420. Next time I will probably go to a tailor for the measurements or just go down there for a short vacation. Basically I am very happy with their product.

Up here a 3mm suit would be a bit cool for us northerners. But after looking through a few advertisements I think that I founda couple of suits from different makers, that are in my price range. They are between 5mm and 7mm, so now all I have to do is decide what I want to do. But thanks for the advice, that is one of the many reasons why I like this site.

If you get a chance, you should check out the Bare 7MM Arctic SGS Full, with the vest. It has hydrostretch and glideskin neoprene to help get in and out of it. The nice thing about Bare is they have many different sizes right off the shelf, so you can save some money if you need a custom fit. I don't thing Scuba Toys sells it though.

I had the opportunity today to try on one of the new Pinnacle Polar suits. That is one nice suit. A little tough getting out of (new suit obviously) but it's now on my list of "must haves" for up here. Real sweet one piece with hood.

For the cold water curious: http://www.pinnacleaquatics.com - see the polar and artic suits.

Back
Top Bottom