Buying wife new Regs; Help Please

Scubapro or Apeks for the wife?

• Scubapro MK25/S550

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Apeks CTX-50

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aardal

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm buying the wife a whole new reg set-up. Currently i'm looking at Scubapro MK 25/S550 and the Apeks CTX50. Both are about the same price but having a hard time deciding.

We both dive in 40-50 degree water year round and depths upto 115 ft. These are the conditions we both dive on a regular basis. The problems she has been having is being able to pull air from her regulator at deeper depths and jaw fatigue. She has also started taking film pictures so bubble interference will be a factor also.

Given these conditions, which regulator do you suggest? I'm not limited to just the two regs I listed up above.

Note: I currently dive Apeks TX-50, so I know the quality and performance that Apeks brings.

Thanks,

Aaron

Either would work fine. All my regs are Scubapro, but I would buy Apeks also.

If she if having jaw fatigue problems, have her try a mouthpiece like the Comfo-Bite, where you don't have to maintain pressure on it all the time. Might help, unless she is just tense.

MD

Both good regs (which I'm sure you know). If you have apeks then maybe you should buy apeks for your wife. This should make servicing a bit easier and let you carry less spares.

Since you mention a CTX50, I assume you're planning to buy from LeisurePro. You could save a bit by getting a TX40/DS4 combo, I think they still have some at $199.something. I have a TX40 backup and ATX50 primary, the only thing the latter has that I like better is the mouthpiece. I have never touched the extra adjustment knob on the 50 after setting it up. The money you'd save could almost pay for the other 2nd stage.

Chris

I'm not a big Apex fan so, I would go with something from ScubaPro. (Don't think they breath as well as the SP line)

You can get a Mk16/S550 for about $338.00. Great diaphram reg that will be good for any type of diving you ever do.

Mk25/S600 - Excellent reg. What I usually dive. Will do everything and last forever.

Mk25/G250 - Cheaper than the S600 but offers the same exact performance. I dive one of these too and think it's great.

Both regs you listed are excellent, I am personally a Zeagle/Apeks fan.
I would also highly recommend having your wife try a SeaCure mouthpiece, she can form it to fit her mouth perfectly in the same way you do a football mouthpiece and they usually eliminate the jaw fatigue.

You could buy a cheaper reg and put the rest of the money into a bumped up life insurance policy. :D

(This was a test of the emergency joke warning system.... if this had be a real joke, you would have been laughing!)

Aardal once bubbled...
I'm buying the wife a whole new reg set-up. Currently i'm looking at Scubapro MK 25/S550 and the Apeks CTX50. Both are about the same price but having a hard time deciding.
I've never used either, so can't offer an opinion. However, the question itself catches my attention. Shouldn't your wife be out shopping and trying regs? I'm not against you offering your opinion/assistance, but I see too many cases (and have been guilty myself) of husbands, boyfriends, doing setup, researching and purchasing gear and wives/girlfriends missing on the educational opportunities the shopping can bring. You end up creating a dive buddy with no equipment knowledge and I think that can be potentially dangerous.
I perhaps read too much into your post and if my comment offends I apologise in advance, but I toss the idea out there for consideration.

Ontario Diver once bubbled...

(This was a test of the emergency joke warning system.... if this had be a real joke, you would have been laughing!)

Someone else here does have a sense of humor =-) I feel vindicated :D :D :D

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom